We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

Central Valley...
Level Contributor
219 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

Time for a Trip Report of our first visit to Kauai. Thank you for all the contributors & DE's here that have helped me along as I planned this trip starting many months ago.

We are a family of 4: myself & husband (in our early & late 40's) and our two boys (age 11 & 15). We have visited Maui a few times & decided it was time to explore a new island. Traveled the day after school let out for summer & stayed in San Jose, CA overnight before leaving on a 7am flight direct to Lihue on Alaska Airlines. Started travel day on the wrong foot by dropping my cell phone on the free shuttle to the airport from our hotel. I noticed it was missing after passing through security but was able to get a hold of the hotel & shuttle driver. He found it right away & actually brought it to the curb at the airport for me within 15 minutes - he got a big tip for that! So thankful. Made our flights without any problems even with my little phone misadventure. Uneventful flight followed

Arrived by 9:30am on Saturday morning. Rented a 4 door jeep through Avis. No problems or delays there. On our way to Walmart next & found ourselves easily turned around while trying to find Walmart even though I had directions. Got a few things there & headed to the condo at Poipu Kapili. Fantastic condo complex & fabulous condo! Just beautiful. 3rd floor with a huge lanai, lots of outdoor seating & a great view of the pool & ocean straight ahead. The only thing lacking in this condo was..........central air conditioning. I knew this when I rented it but we decided to go for it since so few places have A/C on the island. We did have room air conditioning units in both bedrooms so that we could sleep comfortably at night but I won't lie to you - going forward I doubt we will stay anywhere without central air again. For our personal comfort, it is that important. We've never traveled in May (always November & December) so it was much warmer, more humid & less trade winds than usual but maybe it was just an off week.

Things we did:

Kipu Ranch ATV Adventures - my guys loved this! Fabulous view of Kipu Kai & apparently the We were told that Jurassic Park movie was being taped that day & their security SUV was parked at the gate by the overlook to Kipu Kai Bay. Saw a few of the sites used in some popular movies here. We came back with plenty of red dirt/dust on us.

Waimea Canyon - we stopped at a few of the look outs & started to hike part of the Canyon trail - we picked a clear day & got some great pictures. Trail was pretty sloppy/muddy though so we didn't make it far on the hike before turning back.

Boogie boarding at Kiahuna Plantations beach & Brennecke's - boys were not impressed with Kiahuna's beach or the waves here. They enjoyed Brennecke's but it was a bit rough for our 11 year old & he did come up one time with a bloody nose & we managed to crack a couple of boogie boards on the first day there. Bought two new ones for the condo.

Silver Falls Ranch horseback riding - a 90 minute trail ride was the perfect length for our family. The trail was super muddy so I'm glad those horses are sure-footed. My horse was pretty stubborn & slow but we had a good time. There was a hen at the ranch that was obviously raised as a house pet - she was hilarious. You could pick her up, pet her & she tried to steal things - she ran to someone's car to try & stealth a show that dropped off their tailgate. She clucked as if in conversation with you. This was also our only day on the north shore so we were able to see a lot of the beautiful coastline on the north shore this day & it didn't rain on us so that was a bonus. I do not regret choosing Poipu for our home base, however.

Wings Over Kauai - this 75 minute flight on a six-passenger plane was a wonderful way to see the island. Definitely take your motion sickness meds though is you have trouble because both my son & I took ours & we still ended up getting green towards the end of the flight - but we made it through & are so glad we went. They had to cancel our first flight due to a dead battery on the place earlier in the week but managed to squeeze us into another flight later in the week.

Captain Andy's Southern Star Na Pali Dinner Cruise - our favorite paid activity on this trip. Excellent in every way. No complaints. We all enjoyed the views, the ride, the staff, the food. We always get out on the water at least once while visiting Hawaii & this was probably the best sailing trip yet. We were supposed to be on a sunset cruise out of Poipu but that boat had to be put out of service for maintenance so we were upgraded for free to this dinner cruise. Well worth it - especially with the free upgrade! My son & I took our Bonine (two tablets each this time!) and had no problems with motion sickness or feeling drowsy the entire time.

The search for the best shave ice on the island - we were very disappointed with Kauai's shave ice overall. We are huge fans of Ululani's Shave Ice on Maui & just could not find anything comparable. However, finally at our forth shave ice stop we found some pretty decent shave ice at Uncle's Shave Ice. My guys actually liked the shave snow even better.

Food - We ate breakfast & lunch in our condo every day & ate dinner out most nights. There are no real standouts but I'd say for tropical setting (minus ocean view) we liked Keoki's Paradise & for take out Mexican we liked Da Crack. Merriman's Gourmet Burgers & Pizza had really good pizza. I did buy poke at Big Save on two different shopping trips & couldn't seem to get enough of it on our trip.

Impressions of Kaui - a very beautiful, lush, quiet island. While sitting on the lanai one day, my husband & I turned to each other & mentioned how quiet & deserted our condo complex was. Then the realization sunk in that we don't necessarily like it THAT quiet - we love to people watch too much! Kauai is an island that I'm very glad we took the time to visit but I don't know when we will return....or IF. Kauai didn't capture our hearts like I expected it would - what a strange realization that is for me! Please don't hate me for my honesty......better for all of you - one less tourist family on the island that you love most! :) I'm not sure Kauai had a chance on this trip. Our visit started a little shaky with a few bumps in the road & a little bit of "rain" both literally & figuratively. The aloha spirit started seeping into our trip by day 3 or 4 but never quite managed to take us to that level of peace & aloha that we have had on past trips to Hawaii.

Thank you TA contributors for sharing all your expertise, your thoughts, your opinions, and your beautiful island with our family!

California
Level Contributor
36,649 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

I appreciate your honesty. Kauai is not for everyone just like Waikiki is not for me. I totally get the feeling you had about wanting to be in a more busy area which is why I love Maui and try and go every year but I like the quiet of Kauai. That is what appeals to me.

Rain can put a damper on a trip. A neighbor of mine was on Oahu the same week you were on Kauai and the rain was terrible. I'm just happy you had SOME enjoyment and there are many other places in this big world to go to and I am sure you will explore many.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

No worries; each of us has our favorite island. There's definitely more hustle and bustle on Maui. Have you been to Waikiki? Maui on steroids. :-)

Central Valley...
Level Contributor
219 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

I appreciate the understanding! We did have a fun trip - it just wasn't quite as perfect as our past trips to Hawaii. Most of us are bound to have one of those trips that won't go down in the books as the best, most perfect vacation we dreamed it to be. I'm not complaining though.....it was beautiful, it was Hawaii & we were so blessed to be able to experience it! No burning desire to visit Waikiki - I don't think I'd like Maui on steroids at all. I think we kind of wish we could have spent time on Kauai followed by a few final days on Maui which just feels like "home" to us. I'm still very, very glad we made the trip though & the memories with our boys will not be forgotten!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,811 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

There's an island for everyone.....I'm glad you experienced mine! Thanks for sharing with us.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

Try maybe 3 days in Waikiki; I think you'd like the people-watching. The Royal Hawaiian is oceanfront and off the main strip, so it's MUCH quieter, and it's a lovely, historic hotel. Visit Pearl Harbor. Then head to a quieter island. I don't much like cities, but I do enjoy a few days in Honolulu now and then.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 21:08
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,811 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

For as much as I love the quiet of Kaua‘i...the 3 nights we spent in Waikiki last Aug, was really fun (we then moved to North Shore for 5 pretty quiet nights before coming to our beloved Kaua‘i.) The food, the people, the history of ‘Iolani Palace, the Bishop Museum, seeing Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona...yeah, it was totally worth it.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I love Maui and it is my favorite, but Kauai is a close 2nd. If Kauai had a little more life to it, then it might move ahead of Maui in my books, but then again, the quiet, easy going style is what makes Kauai...Kauai. Sounds like you still had a great time despite some of the issues.

California
Level Contributor
36,649 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

I am like Penfan but Kauai edges Maui just a bit.

I felt that same way when I went to The BI. From the minute I walked off the plane there was something out of sync with me. Then our condo was cr*p, the weather was way to hot and hubby complained he needed to see green and not be in the car with screaming kids for 1/2 the day any time we needed to get somewhere. Others love that island. I might give it another shot someday and hopefully you will try Kauai another time (with some Maui in for good times).

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

It seems most folks who visit the islands find one that especially touches them in some way. For us, it is definitely Kauai, although we, too, expect many more future visits to Maui. We just visited the Big Island in mid May and have friends who love it so much they plan to move there next year. For us, it was very interesting to experience the diverse landscape, especially the volcano area, but it didn't feel like our "home away" the way Kauai does. How neat that you, too, have that feeling, for Maui.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 23:33
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,504 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Kauai Trip Report May 24-June 2

Great trip report . . . thanks for sharing with us all. :)