We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping/gratuties on excursions

colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
tipping/gratuties on excursions

we are a party of 4 with two excursions planned- a snorkeling adventure ( about 6 hours long) and a helicopter tour. what would be an expected tip for each- i was thinking $20 for the helicopter and $20 for the snorkeling. thanks

California
Level Contributor
39,801 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k71373…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k60526…

Lots of threads on the subject.

Are you saying $20 pp or for all? $20 for all is fine.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

IME you don't tip the helicopter pilot. I know Jack Harter doesn't allow it. For the snorkel tour I'd tip about $10pp.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

One of our friends is a tour bus driver on Kauai. What they are paid is IMHO a shame considering they are watching out for many lives on our roads. Anyhow they are supposed to make up for this poor pay with tips. Somedays he says folks are very generous and others he gets no tips. I believe its because people don't think and figure since they paid for the trip its taken care of by the fee. Thanks for thinking of it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

Addendum: I meant $10 per person in your group.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
312 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

We also tip $10 per person ($20 per couple) for excursions & give the bus driver $3-5. Since we usually pre plan our excursions, we plan for the tip too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

We tip 10% of the total cost. It's a number that seems pretty agreeable on most of the travel blogs I frequent. Do I sometimes tip more...yes....especially if it's a holiday.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

We tipped $20 for two on the helicopter trip.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

We tip $10 pp usually. Includes bus tours, horseback riding, snorkeling, etc. On a catamaran sail. There were 6 of us (one child) and we tipped $50 to the Capt. to share with the crew who were wonderful.

Taken two helicopter rides and did not tip. When you pay almost a $1,000 for a family, for less than an hour ride, we felt the pilot earned enough.

9. Re: tipping/gratuties on excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:17