We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Recommendations

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
772 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Recommendations

Heya,

So in the first week of August, my mother and I plan to visit Kauai – we’re splitting our vacation between a South and North shore stay – since it will be easy to drive everywhere this way.

We would like to do a MODERATE hike. Our hiking history (small list LOL):

1- Easy Hike – in Alaska Mendelhall Glacier

2- Moderate Hike – I can’t remember – it was Costa Rica

3- Strenuous Hike – Mt Liamuiga – St Kitts. This is called a strenuous hike oO… personally I have no idea how to rate these… but we did go up almost 2000 feet elevation in 2.5 miles (yes it was the “shortest” distance… but our ****s got handed to us and then some… lots of trees, stones, big rocks etc). We made it though!!! The views… OMG absolutely worth every bit of sweat.

US:

Me = Will be 30 in Kauai… don’t work out but I’m stubborn and that keeps me going

Mother = 57 year old 112 pound lady (small lady… works out on occasion)

I should mention, we have NEVER hiked WITHOUT a guide… always afraid to get lost… some trails just aren’t defined as much. Also my mom is a worry freak (when she’s driving I use all my willpower not to pull my hair out… needless to say I’m driving in Kauai).

So what we’re looking for is a moderate hike (don’t want to stress ourselves too much). We hope the views are the end would be beautiful – you know as a “rewarding experience”. I read the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook… The ones that seem to stand out were “Po’Omau Canyon Ditch Trail” and “Honopu Ridge”… I don’t know how long these are… how long they take or nothing.

So my question is… based on all I’ve said… what hikes do you suggest? Also are there any companies you recommend that provide hikes (in case we take another guided hike).

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
40,571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Recommendations

Please read the top question thread on hikes. It should answer all your questions.

It says hiking advice and trails

California
Level Contributor
10,011 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Recommendations

http://www.hikekauaiwithme.com/ Here's a private guide that's often recommended here.

California
Level Contributor
40,571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Recommendations

Eric with Hike Kauai is excellent. Terrific guide and will do any hikes you want. Read his reviews. Everyone loves him.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Recommendations

Great and thanks!! E-mailed him... rates for two people are about $150 which is reasonable. *hope to hear from him soon*

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Recommendations

Heya,

Sorry for the double post - can't edit my post. Eric responded. Basically asking me questions and what-not... as you know it's $299 per two people. He mentioned he has Hike + Stand Up Paddling combo ($499 for two people... that includes a 90-minute Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP) lesson/experience). I always wanted to try SUP. Anyone know if this is a good deal... so that's $100/person for 90 minutes?

Thanks!!!

northeast georgia
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Recommendations

We have hiked many Kauai trails in past years and one we just did three days ago for the first time was very enjoyable. It is the WAI KOA loop and the trailhead is located adjacent to Kauai Mini Golf. No guide necessary as it is more of a path than a trail and it is well marked. Parking is very easy also. It is not wilderness and is on private land with mountain views and local farms and animals. About half way is a stream with a stone dam and waterfall that is very picturesque. It has a small covered pavilion with a few chairs that are perfect for your picnic lunch and photo ops. The loop is about five miles but is mostly flat with some wet areas.

We hiked up Kalalau Trail this morning for some exercise and beautiful views. As usual there were many people hiking that had no clue as to the ruggedness and heat stresses this trail presents. In fact rescue units had to ferry a man down who had injured his leg.

Please match your hikes to your abilities in order to stay safe.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 02:36
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Wai Koa Loop
Wai Koa Loop
132 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalalau Trail
Kalalau Trail
1,579 Reviews
Kauai, HI
7. Re: Hiking Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 07:16