We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Kauai - 5 days

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Kauai - 5 days

Hello,

In November we are travelling to Kauai, but will only be on the island for 5 days, so am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the top activities we should do or areas/beaches we should see while there.

We are staying on Poipu Beach but have rented a car for our entire stay so would love to check out many areas of the island.

Some things we were thinking of doing based on other posts I have read are a tour to Napali and possibly an ATV tour with Kipu Ranch. We love sightseeing, relaxing on a beach, snorkeling, adventure, and trying new things....so pretty much anything is fair game!

Any help/recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,430 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

I would not miss the Waimea Canyon and Kokee state park. I would also plan a full day on the northshore. Have you been to Hawaii before? If not, perhaps a luau?

Just don't book too much - plan to relax and just enjoy Kauai! :)

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

Buy a guidebook with maps. Check out the top questions listed to the right of the screen. You have picked two of the top things to do. I would also go to Waimea Canyon and check out the North shore for a day.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

Thanks so much coalminer and shantybob! We will be sure to add the canyon and north shore to our list and will get a guidebook!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,430 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

I prefer the Ultimate Kauai Revealed guidebook because of their excellent maps and general information, though they push the boundaries at times for recommendations of private land & access as well as some safety concerns - just a word to the wise! :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

The three things I would do are Waimea Canyon, a Napali coast tour from Captain Dave and a day in the North, maybe snorkel Anini Beach or Tunnels and walk around Hanalei.

I live to eat so I often plan where to go around good food, or find good find to or from where I am going. The little town of Waimea has some great local places to get food to go and then go eat at the beach. Duke's Barefoot Bar at the Marriott Lihue is not great food, but it is good food in a great setting and ambiance.

The Wednesday Culinary Market at the Kukui'ula Shopping Center is fun and has good food to go. Lappert's Ice Cream in the same center gets regular visits from us when we are there. We can fill up a loyalty card twice over usually.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 19:07
California
Level Contributor
9,382 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

My family loved the ATV tour with Kipu Ranch Adventure. You might also take a look at the adventures offered at Outfitters. We've gone out with them several times and highly recommend. www.outfitterskauai.com

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

Scottca075, thanks for all of the recommendations! We love our food too so will definitely check out the places you recommended! One question for you, I found one tour company that doesn't offer tours to the Napali coast in the winter months because of the rougher waters (I believe) and have noticed many people posting about getting motion sickness on many Napali tours. My husband and I have never been sea sick in the past, but I am seeing iso much posted about the rough waters that it is worrying me a bit. Just wondered if you have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

22kauai - great to hear your family enjoyed the ATV tour. I think it is right up our alley, so will plan to book that one!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

fearsteele55,

You posted exactly 3 posts and 1 review since yesterday, all about this company. AND your location is Kapaa..... ??????

Edited: 09 July 2014, 01:12
Westlake Village, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

Humm?

martik, your post is strange. I hope it is not against the Kipu Ranch!

Edited: 10 July 2014, 04:43
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Kauai - 5 days

<<martik, your post is strange>>

Actually, if you saw the posts that were removed by TA, you would understand. You're a little late to the party. And NO, it had nothing to do with Kipu Ranch though the timing of the posts may suggest that. We took the ATV tour with Kipu Ranch in 2012 with my two boys and loved it. I've said that many, many times.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 04:59