We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another when should we come question??

Currituck, North...
Level Contributor
369 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Another when should we come question??

We are planning another trip to HI, hopefully 3 islands this time, Oahu, Maui, & Kauai.

We are retired & can travel pretty much any time of yr.

I really want to take a catamaran sail along the Na Pali Coast, so my question is what time of year would be best suited for a sail. We are considering April or October.

Thanks, Betty

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another when should we come question??

April & Oct could be iffy ocean conditions. I'd say between May and September for Kaua‘i.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another when should we come question??

I personally prefer the fall months on Kauai. The kidlets have gone back to school and the weather is still very nice. We used to come over in late September every year for our anniversary and we really enjoyed the weather and less crowds. Not sure where you are staying or where you want to catch the boat tour from?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,552 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another when should we come question??

I have heard so much about May . . . I would love to try it then, but fall months would be good - right up until Christmas for less busyness. :)

Currituck, North...
Level Contributor
369 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another when should we come question??

martik- we haven't gotten that far in our plans yet. We are looking at next year. I want to come when conditions are still favorable for a sail & of course when children are in school.

We were in Oahu April 2013 weather was great & the North Shore was still to ruff for swimming.

Betty

Edited: 19 June 2014, 02:02
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another when should we come question??

If you want to avoid the kiddlet quotient, and rough water would you consider May or Sept.? In May things are calming down for the most part on the ocean, resorts are quieter and cheaper. I hear you, we travel in winter and FINALLY caught a perfect day in Feb. to boat tour the Napali! It was amazing on the Southern Star, but we spent years trying before we hit the "sweet spot", of one day without crazy surf.

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another when should we come question??

September to mid October.

Currituck, North...
Level Contributor
369 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another when should we come question??

Thanks for the replies everyone.

mamma0233-Looks like Sept. & Oct. for us since hubby still wants his spring/summer garden.

Betty

8. Re: Another when should we come question??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:16