We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

DAY 1:

Since this is our 7th trip to Kauai in the last 12 years, we’re not going to do a whole lot other than just relax and enjoy the beauty of the island. So my trip report is going to be pretty boring for those of you looking for tips on excursions and restaurants in particular.

Our flight from Kona to Kauai went through Maui and we were about 45 minutes late leaving Maui – that doesn’t seem to happen too often on Hawaiian. Once we arrived we went to pick up our rental car at Budget, which we had reserved through Costco. We got a great deal, only $162 for 8 days, including all taxes, for a compact car. Got right up to the counter, no hard sell for insurance or upgrades. But then we had to wait over 15 minutes for our car, which was being prepared at the Avis location down the road. Apparently Budget and Avis share some of the same facilities here.

After picking ups some groceries, we headed for our cottage in Kilauea. We immediately noticed how green things are here – even more than usual it seemed to us. Since we had been travelling all day, we picked up a pizza from Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza for dinner. It was quite pricy, but very good. Tomorrow we’ll have to make the tough decisions: which bathing suit to wear and which beach to go to. Hope we can handle the pressure.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

Sounds wonderful. Post a link after you check out, it you care to share. Did you have Kauai Pie flavor?

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

DAY 7:

Hard to believe we have only 2 full days left here in paradise.

Started the day off as usual with breakfast at the cottage. But then the stress was almost too hard to handle – which bathing suit to wear and which beach to go to. So I put on my Speedo (no not the kind those European men wear – unfortunately we’ve seen a few of those on this vacation) and headed back to Lumahai since we just wanted to relax on the beach. It rained on and off most of the morning, but being from Tucson where we’ve had 0.61 inches of rain so far for the whole year, we didn’t mind that at all. The beach was much less crowded than when we were there last week – probably due to the weather.

While we were at Lumahai, we witnessed a near-miss between a plane and a helicopter almost right over the beach. The helicopter flew right under the small plane. I know they were at different altitudes and may have been further apart than they appeared but they had to have been much closer than they should have been.

A little before noon we headed into Hanalei and had lunch at Puka Dog. The hot dogs were very good, but they need to work on their service since we had to wait for our lemonades for a good 5 minutes or more after we got the hot dogs. By then the hot dogs were not as hot as when they were first made. On the way back to the cottage we stopped at the Kilauea Bakery for some sweet treats to enjoy after dinner. Then back to the cottage for our usual outdoor shower and some time to relax – we both even got in a short nap.

The evening consisted of another picnic dinner and sunset on Waikalua Beach. The beach was really crowded this time – we saw two other couples there. We then enjoyed a good soak in the hot tub after the climb back up the trail – almost 300 steps. The property owners have really fixed up the trail since our last time here 2 years ago, so it’s not a bad hike at all, even after the sun goes down.

Mentioned in this post
Lumahai Beach
Lumahai Beach
112 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Puka Dog
Puka Dog
2,992 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

<<The evening consisted of another picnic dinner and sunset on Waikalua Beach. The beach was really crowded this time – we saw two other couples there. >>

That would have been unacceptable....that is YOUR beach!!! lol

Glad you had another relaxing day, speedo and all. Caddyshack will be jealous!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

DAY 8:

Last full day on the island – tomorrow is a travel day. Since this is going to be my last installment of the trip report (who cares about me turning in my rental car and getting on a plane after all), let me just make a few general comments before my long account of all of our daily activities.

1. What is with all the “construction zones” with all the orange signs where they are never doing any construction work? The signs near the Kalihiwai Bridge have been there so long all the vegetation has them covered up. Out of the many so called “construction zones” we encountered we saw actual work going on in one location on one day.

2. It was really hot here this time and not a lot of trade winds either. We’ve stayed in the same cottage twice before and rarely ran the A/C, but this year it ran all afternoon every day. Not sure if it is just because we are here a bit later than usual or if it’s just hotter than usual.

3. It is as green as we’ve ever seen it here – even the area between the airport and Kapaa. And the rain we experienced here almost every day to some extent just meant lots of waterfalls.

4. I almost hate to share this because “our cottage” is getting harder to book every year (the main reason we had to come 2 weeks later than normal this year), but here is the link to the cottage: http://www.plumeriamoon.com/

5. This year we spent 9 nights on the Big Island before coming to Kauai and we are really glad we did that. We are big snorkelers and the snorkeling on the BI was so much better than Kauai. One of our big disappointments this trip was to see how the overuse of the few decent snorkeling areas on Kauai is really taking a toll. The combination of the 2 islands was perfect for us. For anyone who is interested, here is the link to my trip report from that part of the trip: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k75438…

Now for the account of our very hectic last day today. Of course breakfast at the cottage and an afternoon outdoor shower are a given (wish I could bring that shower and the view from it home with us.) As we headed north, it rained, sometimes pretty heavily, most of the way. We decided to try an old favorite again and stopped at Kepuhi Beach. We managed to find some shade so we could stay a while. This beach is never crowded at all and today was no exception – probably saw less than 10 other people the whole time we were there. It was a little choppy, but the snorkeling actually turned out to be pretty decent – other than Tunnels the best we had in Kauai this trip. As usual it was quite windy here so we took our picnic lunch to Wainiha Beach just so we could see the ocean while we ate our lunch in the shade.

Then it was off to Hanalei Beach for one last visit. It was funny to watch all the surfers bunched together in the one small area that had any waves at all. We were hoping to get shave ice at the Wishing Well one last time, but I guess the clouds and rain earlier in the day meant she decided not to open for the day – not the first time that has happened. One more stop at the Kilauea Bakery for some iced tea and goodies to enjoy after dinner.

Unfortunately it was then time to head back to the cottage to clean up our gear and do laundry so we could pack for our flight home tomorrow. Dinner on the lanai at the cottage one last time and some final relaxing. Back to reality tomorrow. But I’m sure we’ll be back…

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hanalei Beach
Hanalei Beach
1,536 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

My kind of vacation!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

So sad to see your trip report end. Really enjoyed it!!

California
Level Contributor
40,571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

The nice thing about this trip report is knowing we will see another one next year. I hope it has the same content and flow.

Safe travels home and sweet dreams about your favorite beaches.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

Enjoyed your trip reports very much. Safe travels.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

Sad your vacation is over and we will miss those wonderful relaxing reports. We laugh about those signs at Kalihiwai, You can tell the visitors as they slow down for the signs, Can't figure out the construction in front of Princeville ranch. They were going full speed and the equipment is still there but they seem to have stopped. The trade winds have been blowing at our place while you have been here. Maybe it was just warmer.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville Ranch
Princeville Ranch
1,276 Reviews
Kauai, HI
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,095 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Trip Report - June 18-26, 2014

What a great time....makes me miss Kaua‘i so much. Love, love, love seeing the dolphins out in Kalihiwai....

Mahalo for sharing this wonderful time with us!