We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Hawaii

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Hawaii

I may be doing a 2 week trip next summer. My kids have been begging me to take them to Kaui. If I can afford it :) when exactly do I start with booking condo and car or airfare?

I have been looking at lots of condos on the VRBO site.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Hawaii

Aloha Sally and welcome to the forum! How old are your kiddos? I will say they have excellent taste! :)

Will you be wanting to stay on Kauai for the full 2 weeks? What is your nightly condo budget?

You can reserve your car here:

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

As far as when to book, it really can vary. If you fall in a love with a vacation rental, you may want to reserve a year in advance . . .but for some of us, the flight is the most expensive aspect of the travel, so am not sure when you have deals from your area or not. We fly with Alaska air, which has a companion fare with their Visa card - a very good deal for us - as you purchase one regular fare and the second is $99 + taxes.

I would also recommend getting a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Revealed guidebook - excellent maps, just use caution with their ideas of private land/hiking and general safety.

Happy planning! :)

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Hawaii

If you find a condo you like, I'd book it now. Lots of folks (like me) book a year in advance. Others will chime in on car and airfare. I usually book 8 or 9 months out. The airfare recently dropped quite a bit, and thanks to some good advice, I called Hawaiian, and they're sending me a credit.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Hawaii

Your best flight bet is a nonstop on a wide body aircraft from Dulles, JFK or Newark. You can then sit two hours at HNL without leaving security and then hop to Lihue on Hawaiian Airlines. If you put the whole thing on a single ticket you can through check your luggage both ways -- and you won't have to worry about schedule changes.

With two weeks you could even spend a few nights Waikiki while you see the historic sights.

The north shore of Kauai is the most gorgeous, and summer is the best time to stay there. I like Hanalei Bay Resort. Many visitors book a condo in Hawaii as much as a year in advance.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
280 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Hawaii

I booked 11 months out, but I am super picky and we are coming in August, which is a busy time. I always have to travel during school holidays, so I try to book all of my trips at least 9 months in advance. I book the flights as soon as they come out too. This way we can get better seats as well (or at least seats all together).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Hawaii

Thanks! Well my budget for condo is under $200 a night. I think I like the Princeville area so far. Definitely the plane tickets is what is so expensive. Its about $1100 per person for us three. Yikes. Thats why I haven't gone to Hawaii and have been just taking them to Disney World every year. My kids are 11 and 14.

I am only doing one island as it is cheaper then paying to hop around.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 19:58
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,215 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Hawaii

I'd look at the Parrish Kauai site for condos. Do you have a budget in mind? How old are the kids?

http://www.parrishkauai.com/

I'd also look at this site:

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

And check out the individual sites of complexes like Poipu Kapili, Kiahuna Plantation and Poipu Kai.

http://poipukapili.com/

https:/…outrigger-kiahuna-plantation

http://www.villasatpoipukai.com/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Hawaii

My first trip was for 16 days - and was wonderful! You might consider a split stay - 1 week in Poipu area, and then a week on the north shore - just a thought! :)

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Hawaii

Curious why you're leaning towards Princeville? Do your kids like playing in the ocean? Do they prefer a nice pool? Personally with kids I'd look for a cottage in Hanalei or a condo in Poipu. Take a look at the places Scott mentioned.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Hawaii

We need an area with a great pool though.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 20:16
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Hawaii

My kids will never play in the ocean. They cant swim very well. I thought I read somewhere Princeville was the nicest area. Definitely a great pool is needed for us.

****sorry my phone got stuck*******

If this posts twice.