We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

We are traveling to Kauai for the first time this coming August. We're excited to try out a new island!

In our past trips, we typically look for more remote places to stay, heavy on locals, but welcoming to tourists. Last year we had a great time in Hana on Waikiki. Great beaches, great access to hiking, great people, really great food, and not a lot of tourists staying there. Previous year in Costa Rica, we were in Mal Pais. Which was very similar, not very many tourists, but great access to beaches, hikes, great locals, and amazing food.

Any recommendations along those lines in Kauai for places to stay? We keep hearing wonderful things about Hanalei and Princeville, but it seems like a major destination and while beautiful, might not give us the kind of experience that we love.

Thanks for any and all help!

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

You might take a look at Moloa'a Beach vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…moloaa-bay or Anini Beach.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

Take a look at Kilauea. Close to everything, but not a tourist mecca. Accommodations will range from a studio room in a home to an entire huge house. No condos.

BTW, Hana is not in Waikiki...it's on Maui.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

We are similar travelers and like Haena on the north shore the best. Staying there within easy walking distance to many of our favorite beach areas means that we avoid the parking hassles and we often have beaches to ourselves early or in the later afternoons. It's an easy and beautiful drive into Hanalei or Princeville which have several good food options. We've also stayed in Princeville and Hanalei and are staying in Hanalei again this October because we like being on Hanalei Bay and walking distance to the town very much.

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

Haena sounds exactly like what you want but of course there will be tourists there because one of the top snorkeling beaches is in this area. Check out Hanalei Colony Resort or Makai Cottages. August is prime time on the North Shore and I am not sure what is available. Hanalei sounds like something to look at too, but again the pickings might be slim. I like it for the easy access to my favorite beach and the cute funky town of Hanalei.

Princeville is a planned community surrounded by golf courses, homes, condos and St Regis Hotel. It overlooks Hanalei Bay but might not be what you are looking for. Most of the "locals" who live here are transplanted. If you really want a local feel, stay on the westside.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

Ummmmm, Hana is on Maui, and Waikiki is a district in the city of Honolulu on O`ahu. :-)

In August you're not going to find most swimmable beaches deserted, but Kaua`i almost always has some deserted or almost-deserted beaches. Hanalei is lovely, but it may be hard to book for August at this point. It's high season, and you're very late. As far as beach access goes, most people travel around to visit different beaches on the island. Kilauea might suit, or Ha`ena. If you don't need to be right on a beach, the Kaua`i Country Inn comes highly recommended. It's in the hills above Kapa`a; quite a nice setting.

It would help us to have more info from you on what kind of accommodations you want and what your nightly budget is.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

You are really late trying to find a place for this August, especially the kind of place you're looking for. The best of those types of rentals have been booked for a long time. I would try VRBO, focus on Kilauea, Hanalei, Haena, and maybe Anini Beach and put in your dates and see what is available. Good luck!

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

My wife and I were in Mal Pais last year. We liked it, but it really doesn't even come close to the North Shore of Kauai in terms of beauty, ambience, accommodations, tropical vibes, and culture. If you liked Mal Pais, you will love the North Shore.

Hanalei or Kilauea would definitely rock your boat if you are a Costa Rica fan. Or consider something north of Hanalei--in or near Wainiha, the Kepuhi Beach area, or Haena. I'm looking for places now to rent next January, and I've seen all sorts of interesting places on VRBO and other rental sites north of Hanalei. Two years ago we spent a few days at a place called 100 Shades of Green in Wainiha; it was lovely--and similar to Mal Pais in that it is in a lush jungle setting with good access to beaches. There are lots of place like that north of Hanalei.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

We've been to Hana many times over the years. Have been wanting to stay out there as well but it has not worked out in our schedule. We like to spend as much time as possible on Kauai! We love the Haena area and I think that might be the closest in vibe to Hana. You will see a lot of tourists driving out there for the day (just like Hana) because the beaches up there are amazing during the summer months. But it does quiet down a lot in the evening. We love Hanalei Colony Resort because it is located right on the water (not a swimmable beach most days) and HCR has a nice pool, BBQs, laundry, a GREAT restaurant on site, a small coffee shop and a day spa. They also are offering FREE shuttle service to Ke'e, Tunnels and Hanalei for all of their guests. And since you are looking to go THIS August, it might be your best bet in getting a reservation. We have also stayed in a cottage just down the street for a week and also loved that as well. It was right on the ocean and very quiet. Availability will be the issue......

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

Thanks everyone for the great replies! TripAdvisor forums never fail to disappoint!

And let me apologize for saying Hana was on Waikiki. Not even sure where that came from. Been to Waikiki once a long time ago and found it overly touristy, so maybe in thinking that Hana was the complete opposite of Waikiki I then mistakenly wrote it was on Waikiki instead of Maui.

We're so excited to start researching the places everyone mentioned.

We weren't sure we were going to be able to have a vacation this year and just found out we were going to both have about a week in the middle of August free. So that's why the late start. Our nightly budget will be under $200 a night, but preferably under 150. We're cool with a small private house or a room at a bed and breakfast kind of place.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for recommendations for an area to stay

What are your dates?