We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

Hi everyone! We are having a destination wedding in Kauai in May 2015- just wondering when we should start having the family book their flights- we will be coming from all over, many from Indiana. We thought about going through a travel agent, but many of you on here have recommended doing it on our own for just as cheap if not cheaper options.

Also, any tips on getting airfare deals would be greatly appreciated! I heard somewhere that getting an Alaskan Airlines card and using the buddy pass is a good idea?

Thanks guys!

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

The Alaska card is an excellent way of getting many hundreds of dollars off your flights. I'm using my pass in a few weeks otherwise the flight would have been too expensive.

Hawaiian Airline also has a good deal, but you have to put so much on the card before you get pass.

I go every May and I think I wait until Feb. Of course if you book on Alaska and the price goes down, they give you a voucher for the difference.

What I would concentrate on now is accommodations. May is starting to be one of the more popular months. Find options your guests could research unless you plan on paying for everyone. Tell your guests who need to book air that if they want to wait they don't need to panic, but if they are like many, they will want to find something now (though I think its too early). I am not familiar with leaving out of Indy but maybe it makes connections much more difficult. Depending on when in May will depend on prices. After mid May, the prices start to go up, up, up.

2. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 20:06
California
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

We go to Hawaii in May yearly and fly out of the Bay Area, for us I've always purchased tickets after January and have always gotten the best deal. We also use Alaska Airlines because of the low fare. I've never gotten there Visa card for various reasons.

Airlines don't put out there best summer airfare's until after New Years, come January 1st you just need to watch the fares daily for the best price. An airfare that an airline puts out almost a year in advance is just to test the waters for pricing and because they have to have something to offer.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

You will find it hard to connect to any Hawaiian Airlines flights coming from the mid-west unless you book other airlines separately and stay a night in places like Vegas, Phoenix or the west coast where Hawaiian fly's out of.

These posters are all from the west coast and it's easy and less expensive than coming from east of the Rockies. I fly between Oahu and Colorado yearly. Very seldom do I find a flight on anything other than United that fits my budget and/or schedule. If you find anything that is 800.00 or less, per person, round trip, book it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

Not much beats the companion fare deal on Alaska - and they keep expanding their routes in the US, so that might work very well for your family. Happy planning! :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

Alex...

Let me put in my two cents for flying to Phoenix and then taking Hawaiian over to Hawaii. Again, most of the folks initially responding are West Coast residents for whom Alaska Air works really well.

If you have an AmEx card, you can convert your points to Hawaiian Miles and, as you will see on the Hawaiian website, Hawaiian offers a very convenient way in which to fly in one direction on points and the other on dollars.

We put our life on our AmEx and usually can quickly accumulate enough points to send each of us in a least one direction on points and we go twice a year. And if you do that sooner rather than later, the number of miles needed will be lower.

Also keep in mind that the fares out of Phoenix are about $50 per ticket cheaper than out of LAX because of the high taxes associated with LAX.

There are tons of inexpensive little hotels around the Phoenix airport. We stay at the Airport La Quinta for $69 a night with transportation to and from the airport. Flight leaves at 8:00 and you're on Kauai at about 1:30 so you pick up a day! The hotel could probably shuttle you into Tempe for a walk-around and great dinner and a taxi would be too expensive either.

Just our thoughts...

BARBARA

Edited: 24 June 2014, 14:32
California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

Barb, we mentioned Alaska Air because he asked about the Alaska card. I have friends who take SW from Denver to Oak or San Jose and then use Alaska to Kauai so it can be done. I like your PHX idea though.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

Because of this thread, I took a look at Alaska Airlines and to my surprise, they do fly out of Denver and Colorado Springs with a stop in Seattle. Looks like I have another option when visiting the family!! Might have to sign up for that card. Thanks Kauai peeps!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

That companion is an amazing deal fishdiva - and it is especially helpful is that there aren't blackout dates or anything like mileage restrictions . . . and Alaska keeps expanding their territory. :)

10. Re: Wedding in May, when to buy flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:23