We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike rental options in Poipu?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Bike rental options in Poipu?

We are renting a house near Brennecke's beach and want to rent bikes for the week.

We did check into Outfitter's Kauai - it is close to the house - but rather expensive. Bike rental as much as a car rental per day? Can anyone suggest other options...preferably somewhere we can bike home from - ask I don't think the rental car would fit four bikes!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live here in the Po'ipu Beach area and as far as I am aware, Outfitter's Kaua'i is the only place in this area that rents bikes.

You could go elsewhere on island to get them, but that wouldn't work for your car situation.

Malama Pono,

Janet

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

When I was in Maui last winter, I rented a bike for $25/day. Our car was $19/day. I might have found a better price on bike rental, but I was the only driver and it was within walking distance of our condo. Sounds like you have a similar situation in Poipu.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

There aren't a lot of places to safely ride bikes around Poipu - there are no bike lanes on the roads and the shoulders are gravelly (IIRC). The most fun we had was to renting bikes in Kapa'a and riding along the coastal trail there.

We did bring the bikes back to Poipu (we had a Jeep with the top off) and rode through the old sugar plantation next to the Hyatt the next morning - that was a lot of fun.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

Thanks everyone. Thats what I was afraid of. :-(

Of course now i am concerned about even having the bikes if there aren't safe places to ride. The house is supposed to be near the Poipu Kai greenbelt....are you not allowed to ride the bikes there?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

I've never seen anyone riding bikes on the pathway. It's really not very wide and more of a foot path. Not really sure if bikes are not allowed.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

I haven't seen any bikes on the Poipu Kai greenbelt, but it isn't very long. If you enjoy biking, and can afford it, I highly recommend Outfitter's Kauai's Waimea Canyon Downhill Bike Ride. It's safe, relaxing, and the guide will have plenty to tell you about the geology and plant life.

outfitterskauai.com/waimea-canyon-bicycle-do…

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

I did the Waimea Canyon ride a few years ago -- lots of fun.

8. Re: Bike rental options in Poipu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16