We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Good morning TA Kauai'ers!

I'll be honeymooning next year in Kauai (two weeks) and Maui (one week) and of course I'm overwhelmed by the amazing list of things to do. However, what I'm really interested in is hearing about what YOU found most memorable about your trip. Yes, I have searched the forums and looked at past trip reports and those "must do's"/"can't miss" threads, but I'm really more interested in your personal experience. Whether it was a simple, amazing meal at some little shack somewhere or an amazing experience swimming with sea turtles or whatever. I'd love to hear all of it, if you're willing to share :)

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to reading these!

Cheers,

Cathy

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Great post!!!

Gosh I have so many but the first thing that popped into my mind was my walks along Hanalei Bay early in the morning and looking to the red dirt covered mountains filled with waterfalls and thinking God must have been in a really good mood the day he decided to make Kauai. There is something about the early morning light against the red clay, the sun peaking out through the clouds and the sounds of the boats in the bay that makes it just magical. It gave me goosepumps the first time I felt that and it does every time I visit.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Ah . . . Kauai . . . you know, that is hard to define with one simple memory as it would be more a like a collage of different ones. My first trip to Kauai was as a stressed single parent who wanted to celebrate my 40th birthday and have a fun vacation with my kids. My Hawaiian research led me to Kauai and the north shore in July. It was everything I dreamed of - the scenery was unbelievable - felt like I needed to pinch myself, as it was so stunning and how could I really be here?!? It was everything - the smell/scent of the air from the flowers, the rain on the rooftop at night that lulled us to sleep, the music that seemed to be every where we went, the slow, friendly atmosphere as we explored around the island and delicious shave ice and fresh fish, and the water - I got hooked on snorkeling that summer!

Since then, I think the one memory was being on a boat along the Napali coast with a group of friends to celebrate another birthday 2 summers ago. Glorious day, incredible memory! While I have enjoyed my time on the other islands, nothing has touched my heart & life like Kauai. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Waking to the coo of a zebra dove, which on Kaua'i is often interspersed with rooster crows.

Sitting on Tunnels Beach, glass of wine in hand, watching the sun set over Bali Hai.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 17:40
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

A picnic dinner on a deserted beach with my wife watching the sunset together.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Helicopter ride around the island. It doesn't get any better than that.

Driving the North Shore from Princeville to Ke'e Beach, it is what I pictured Hawaii to be. Truly paradise.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,314 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

It was several years ago. We were at Salt Pond late in the afternoon, we'd brought food to eat and watch the sunset. We got to talking to a family that lived nearby, just yaking and yaking. The little girl was so sweet - she gave me one of the pressed elongated pennies, it had a rooster on it. I had a jar of bubble solution which I gave to her. Way past dark we were still yaking and blowing bubbles until we got rained on. As we were leaving, they gave us a gallon bag of salt......I hadn't realized, but earlier in the day, they had been working their salt pan. One of only about 17 Hawaiian families that still do this. I felt so honored that they gifted the salt to us.

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

See, this is what I'm talking about! I think sometimes I read these threads and get caught up in the grand-epic moments, when the simple, quiet moments are often the ones you remember. And so much is linked to what your life is like when you're leaving for vacation too.

Thank you so much for sharing these.

Jebett - We're staying in Hanalei, so I'll definitely look forward to some morning walks along the bay!

Coal - You just painted such a lovely picture for me.

DBL - we plan on doing tons of picnics! We did it in Paris (where we could) and I find it lets me enjoy the scenery and focus less on being in a restaurant.

Cancun - Not sure a helicopter ride is in our budget, but I'm glad you had a great time! :)

3Chihuahuas - I LOVE that story! It's such a gift when you have these little interactions with locals, isn't it? You couldn't pay anyone to get you an experience like that. Thanks for sharing.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Petite,

We rarely eat at a restaurant while we're in Kauai for exactly that reason. We either take a picnic lunch or dinner to the beach or eat on the lanai at our cottage where we can enjoy the beauty around us. Just the other night as we had dinner on the beach, my wife and I both remarked how much better that was than being in any restaurant.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

I always wanted to see the Southern Cross constellation, but the few times I managed to get up and go outside between 2-4 AM when it's visible, it was too cloudy. Finally, one year when we were staying in Poipu, when I rolled over in bed, I could see it very clearly though our window. Of course I had to get up go out and get a picture of it:

…smugmug.com/Travel/…L

Another memorable moment happened while I was sitting on the rocks by the water shortly before dawn waiting for the sun to rise at The Point at Poipu. I heard what sounded like heavy breathing, and turned around, but nobody was there. I walked carefully over the rocks in the dark, trying to find where the sound was coming from and it was a small blow hole. I told my brother in law the approximate location, and he went to look for it. He was bending over the hole just as a spray of mist hit him in the face. I'm sure it's an experience he'll never forget either.

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
751 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Hubby and I rented a kayak and paddled up the Wailua river one early morning. It was lovely, just the two of us, no tour group, we could go at our own pace. It started to rain a bit, so we pulled off to shelter under a concrete abutment. For a while, we just sat there listening to the raindrops plopping on the mangrove leaves and the bird calls and twitters and watched the rain speckle the river surface. It was magical, and I've never forgotten it.