We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Good morning TA Kauai'ers!

I'll be honeymooning next year in Kauai (two weeks) and Maui (one week) and of course I'm overwhelmed by the amazing list of things to do. However, what I'm really interested in is hearing about what YOU found most memorable about your trip. Yes, I have searched the forums and looked at past trip reports and those "must do's"/"can't miss" threads, but I'm really more interested in your personal experience. Whether it was a simple, amazing meal at some little shack somewhere or an amazing experience swimming with sea turtles or whatever. I'd love to hear all of it, if you're willing to share :)

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to reading these!

Cheers,

Cathy

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

22kauai - you're going to love the Bon Dance! And I want to see pictures of you joining in the dance!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

We visited the first time in Feb. 2012 - right in the middle of a rainy patch. We went on Captain Andy's Southern Star dinner cruise of the Na Pali coast. There was so much mist and the coast was so magically beautiful. Like being in an Asian ink drawing. https:/…set-72157631343547408

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,099 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

I am *not* a morning person and the number of sunrises I've seen in my life are small...but my best memory of Kauai is waking up - unusually- one morning at sunrise in our rental house on the beach in Haena and noticing my youngest was gone. I walked out to the beach and could just make her out surfing. I was about to yell at her to come in because she had scared me and we hadn't ever let her go surfing alone before as she was still very young, but then I just sat down on the sand and watched her in all her surfing joy as the whole sky came alive in various shades of orange and pink and behind me the mountains and waterfalls came into focus with that magical morning light jebett describes.

Mentioned in this post
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

It's all so wonderful in Kauai it's hard to pick one, but the one that does keep coming to mind is: summer, 2012. Polihale Beach. No one else there for hours. Felt like we were in an episode of Gilligan's Island. Worth the dirt road, even in the rain. Tip: take a strong rope with you. If you get stuck, ask someone to pull your car out with theirs. Ppl are amazing in Kauai.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Helicopter tour, hands down. It's unlike anything you've ever seen before.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well other than moving here 16 years ago - my best memory of visiting Kaua'i were simple things like the smell of wet lauaʻe after the rain, plumeria trees, listening to the doves, mynahs, chickens in the early morning - and dancing with my Kaua'i hula sisters (I was with the Reno hula school before I moved here - sister school to the one here on Kaua'i) and having potluck parties at the beach with them - forging lifelong friendships.

Priceless.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Duluth MN
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Jack Harter helicopter tour--Na Pali and the Waimea Canyon in particular were absolutely stunning.

Lee

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

The first time we traveled to Kauai, I badgered my husband incessantly about snorkeling. He really wasn't interested, but I knew he would love it and kept after him. I finally convinced him and we bought snorkel gear and hauled it to Kauai. I couldn't wait to try it out. We set up at Anini Beach one day and practiced close to shore. Of course, I was right - my husband is a natural and loved it. He began to swim out a bit farther than me. It took me a few minutes to see my first fish, but when I did I had this involuntary panic reaction - such a dork - and came flopping and flapping out of the water as fast as I could flop and flap. (It was just a little fish - we are not talking shark, here). I finally got my feet under me and stopped panic breathing. Looked up, and there stood a woman watching the whole thing with the most curious look on her face. I felt the need to explain, "I just saw a fish." She was not impressed. "Isn't that the point of snorkeling? You're SUPPOSED to see fish," she replied. Eh... yes. So it turns out I'm not a snorkeler. Meanwhile, my husband was happily floating along, photographing turtles and loving life. It's one of our favorite memories.

And for the record... my goal is to try again this trip. :)

Mentioned in this post
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
678 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

The first time I stayed away from the ocean, I had in a cottage in a valley near Kalaheo. The first morning, I will never forget it. It was so simply beautiful and so beautifully simple - I knew I had discovered the Hawaii that we always knew was there, but hadn't yet found. The soul deep peace. That wonder never left - I live a short mile away now. I love the south shore vistas, the incredible drive on Koloa Road between Poipu and Kalaheo, all the breath-taking spots that we all enjoy so much on Kauai, but there is nothing like my valley.

Mentioned in this post
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Looking at the subject of this post.....I tried to come up with one particular thing, but all of our expereicnes here, one after another, just flashed and flashed into my mind. I could not just pick one.

And from reading the wonderful and varied special memories that all of the other posters mentioned, all of them warmed my heart and make me feel so very fortunate to have discovered, and now moved to this magnificent creation of mother nature.......

We love it every day. Even the most simpliest of things.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your special memories.....and letting all of us share in them. Perfect.

What I can share, are the two most special things in my life, and there have been some fantastic adventures, but the two that are the most important........" Meeting Erica, and Moving to Kauai Island."

Mahalo for all of the heart felt garden island thoughts.