We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Good morning TA Kauai'ers!

I'll be honeymooning next year in Kauai (two weeks) and Maui (one week) and of course I'm overwhelmed by the amazing list of things to do. However, what I'm really interested in is hearing about what YOU found most memorable about your trip. Yes, I have searched the forums and looked at past trip reports and those "must do's"/"can't miss" threads, but I'm really more interested in your personal experience. Whether it was a simple, amazing meal at some little shack somewhere or an amazing experience swimming with sea turtles or whatever. I'd love to hear all of it, if you're willing to share :)

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to reading these!

Cheers,

Cathy

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

If you haven't had enough of Kauai stories from this thread, try reading Pamela Brown's book Kauai Stories:

http://www.kauaistories.net/

It's more about the history of people that grew up in Kauai, but it is a really nice book.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 01:51
Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Sitting on the tombolo on Poipu beach...... and sitting on the bench at the top of the pathway in Limahuli gardens and trying to convince my eyes that what I was seeing was real and that I was really there!

NE PA
Level Contributor
954 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

There is a particular rock at the end of Hideaways beach that I sat on one evening during our first trip ten years ago. I was the only one on the beach that evening and watched the sunset as the waves buried my feet in the soft sand and sleepy Hanalei Bay slipped into darkness. For some reason it just seemed magical and as I sat there I thought about how incredibly lucky I was to be there. I've made it a point to hike down and enjoy that magic while sitting on that same rock every trip since.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Cathy...

Getting up every morning in time to see the sun come up over the cliffs at Kalapaki. Then having my 1/2 papaya with lime on our balcony.

Then going down to the secluded area of our beach to dance hula for an hour.

Then meeting up with late-sleeping hubby for coffee on the terrace and to plan our day. Which usually take about another hour because we just can't move!!!

Simply put - take everyone's "special memories" and they all come back to just a few things...

The beauty of Kauai. The peace of Kauai. The gentleness of Kauai. The people of Kauai.

Get ready for more "special memories" than you will ever be able to document. I'm jealous of that first time experience which for us is now 19 years old!

PM me if you need anything...

BARBARA

Edited: 30 June 2014, 02:33
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

22kauai...

Cannot believe you haven't been to a Bon Dance!

Have a "Flying Saucer" for me and have a wonderful time!!!

BARB

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

You will love Hanalei - it is so magical.

If you can swing it (you have a while to save for it!), a doors-off helicopter tour is our most memorable paid experience - there's so much of Kauai you can't see any other way, and it really should be seen.

DH's favorite memory was on our second trip in 05 when we had a Jeep and were driving up to the "jungle hike" in Keahua Arboretum. We came upon two locals in a Sebring convertible who had wisely decided not to continue up the 4WD road. We told them to hop in and drove up to the gauging station. They were there to boogie board through the irrigation tunnels, which I thought sounded like the last thing I would ever do willingly, but DH was enthralled. We were planning to hike to the little waterfall/pool, so they said they would leave a board for DH to use. He grabbed it and ran back up the trail to try it out - and said it was so much fun. We left the board and never saw the couple again, but the memory of their aloha has stayed with us!

My favorite experiences now are just exploring Kauai through the eyes of my kids - first when they were babies giggling at the waves washing over their toes and warily eyeing bold chickens to our most recent trip with brave preschoolers charging through waves and building elaborate sand castles.

Oh, and eating poke. Lots and lots of poke.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
417 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

Early morning (6am) walk/swim/SUP on Hanalei Bay is the most memorable for me as well. The entire North Shore is summer is spectacular but there's just something about Hanalei Bay that stands out

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,280 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

I am so enjoying these memorable moments . . . aloha everyone! :)

39. Re: Your most memorable experience in Kauai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17