We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

Hello All,

We are going to being traveling to Kauai next month ( July 19-26) for our honeymoon and are interested in trying to travel to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor for a day. We wanted to know what the best way to get their was and about how much it would cost. Thank you for your help!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

You could plan your own day tour there via Hawaiian airlines . .. there are some tours too. Are your flights direct to Lihue or do you go thru Oahu prior to Kauai?

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

There are tours that will include airfare and bus but probably ala carte is best.

Here's a thread with the same subject from last year.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k62136…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

We fly to Oahu first then into Linhue. I couldn't find a long enough lay over that would allow us to stay on the island to tour Pearl Harbor first.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

I would change your flights into Honolulu before you head over to Lihue. We ended up flying into HNL on Delta and spent the night in Waikiki. We toured Pearl Harbor and then flew to Lihue the next evening. It might be a lot cheaper to do this (or on your way home) then to make a special day trip back to Oahu. Hawaiian has so many flights in/out of Honolulu to Lihue that I cannot imagine not making this work.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 22:10
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

arti has a really good plan....

If possible stop in HNL on the way to , or back home. Make an overnigt and fun time of it. Keep life easy and no nutso airlines and rental car and TSA, and tours slammed into a short period of time with LIH to HNL to LIH..

When I worked in the activities biz, long time back, here on kauai, one of the famous tour companies had a tour of the arizona, the bow fin, the mighty mo,and the air museum.

Well, they had to be at the airport at 6 am....they got to the airline desk line at 05:30am....I did not book this, but saw the aftermath, with two different couples on two different ocassions. Not good.

The people arrived at my desk the next day and they were not able to go on their tour. They arrived very early at LIH, and stood in line before anyone was even at the check in counter. The counter finally opened and they walked up in order.......the agent said that they were late and they gave their seats away.

The couple was very cool explaining the whole ihing to me, and said that they rescheduled for taht next attempt all was smooth.......then it happened again within a about a week to another couple.

Needless to say, I never booked any tours with that company, but I have been out of the activity biz for several years.

When they did go, it was a very early morning, or the hero tours, and maybe added on another tour on oahu, not sure, but they did not return until 8 pm or so. Long day of airports, terminals, TSA, early arrivals at the gate, and all of the hassels associated with travel in this day and age..

Now, I am a patriotic dude, and one of these days were are going to do the hero tour there in Pearl Harbor, but our plan is to actually fly over to Oahu for a short stay cation, and do some exploring, and spend some time at a couple of the HNL Irish Pubs, as well as see all of the hero tours.

Anyway, I really support Mart's idea of a dedicated stop on ohau, and see the Arizona,and the other hero ships and planes, and not try to do it from kauai on a one day deal. Of course , that is entirely up to the OP, or others..

All in the personal choice range.

6. Re: Day trip to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 07:16