We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bon Dance etiquette?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Bon Dance etiquette?

Am trying to get up enough nerve to follow up on numerous website suggestions that it is OK, proper and acceptable to get up and dance in the circle at a Bon Dance.

Everyone always gestures for you to join them but, blond old haole that I am, I'm not sure that it's acceptable. Well meaning "welcomes" can turn to scorn if and when you accept them and don't come "up to standard".

Advice?

BARB

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

Barb....I'm old and blonde too....I felt extremely welcome in the circle. I watched for while, then joined in, next to a smiling, sweet lady. She sort of showed me the steps, I followed along...if you've been to Bon Dance, you know all kinds of people are dancing. Some know the steps, some don't....toddlers, very old (older than me) folks. Smile and have a great time!

California
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

Ha Ha Barb. I know you....and you will have no problem joining in on the fun.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

Thanks guys!!! I'll be doing it! Have wanted to for so long - this will be my "debut" year!

BARB

calif
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

As a Japanese Obon dancer that has been to many Obon festivals, you are very much encouraged to dance at any Obon. We appreciate that you've shown interest in our festivals by being there so to join in on the dancing is an added treat for us.

Enjoy yourself!!

Southeast US
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

Barb, what a great question and, gummtree, what a gracious and encouraging response.

Another reason to wish I were there now!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

gummtree...

And let me add my personal thanks for such a "gracious and encouraging" response!

I dance hula and just love to dance, period. I am SO excited about being part of an Obon. We enjoy them so much! We haven't been in the past couple of years - wrong place, wrong time - but this year, we will probably go twice!

Again - thanks and if I can ever repay the favor...

BARB

7. Re: Bon Dance etiquette?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:17