We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Washington
Level Contributor
457 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Looking for a one week stay on Kauai, then on to The Big Island for another week. Looking to travel any time in September. So we're fairly flexible for dates. Husband has walking difficulties due to a stroke, so I'm trying to find a Kauai rental that has easy beach access, view, pool, kitchen, and not a lot of kids. Unfortunately, the cottages at Barking Sands are full. Any other suggestion for similar 'cottage-like' accommodations?

Thanks much

Caroline

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Waimea Plantation Cottages? Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

I like Jbett's suggestions, you might look them both up on the web. Two of our favorites for beach fronts.

Another idea, and this was new to us.....the WAIPOLI RESORT up in Kapa'a. I know, the T/A troops are saying, Denny is suggesting an east side accomodation......he must be disoriented in his old age.

Once again , saturday night was our date night, and we chose the OASIS at the Waipoli Resort, Kapa'a area, due to the many posititve reviews here on the forum. Wonderful experience, super friendly, lots of aloha, great food and drinks, and marvelous ambiance. And, an excellent real live happy hour, that is probably the best of all of the resorts on the island. We learned the names of those who helped us, the beautiful and happy and excelent bar tender lady , Gabriel, our server Robert, who was excellent,and also happy and upbeat as well as professionsl, and Annie, who kept us in water and general making sure all was well....and who, the very next night is being promoted to waiting tables. It was like they were old friends even tho this was our very first meeting.

After dinner, Erica suggested that we walk the property. Wow ! Great pool area, really nice, plus a marvelous beach view, and easy walking path between the beach and the very, very quality hotel. People staying there were happy and smiling, and enjoying, yet the overall feeling was peaceful and easy.

The ocean can be a bit rough up there, but september might be more calm, excellent month to travel to kauai. Probalbly, there would not be snorkeling, but you certainly can get some beach time with a view, and not crowded . Plus cool down in the pool.

We were not inside of the units, but with the high quality of construction, I would think that the units are extremely nice. One thing, we would reserve an ocean view. Not the units facing out toward the highway,and the huge market and shopping village across the road , but the ocean views are superb.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KIAHUNA PLANTATION: Located in Poipu, is also another favorite, and has a very nice beach, and is a very short distance to get to Poipu Beach Park, with pavillions and shade trees, and facilties. Plus, easy short drives to several restaurnants, and shopping, and views. We like it a lot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIAMEA PLANTATION COTTAGES: Here is south pacifici peaceful sugar plantation cottages on a large expanse of green grass with Banyan Trees and wide ocean view. Plus a neat open air restauant, with friendly folks, and good food. And, not crowded in the least. It is out on the west side in Waimea toward barking sands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing that you cannot get into the base cottages due to being full up, it is apparent that your hubby is retired military, and just want to thank him for his service.

Have fun with your research, others will chime in with their ideas. Have a most wonderful kauai visit.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 16:31
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Waimea Plantation Cottages was wonderful and meets your specs perfectly. Ask for a military rate.

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Denny,

The OP doesn't want a lot of kids. WBR is FULL of kids because of that nice pool you enjoyed walking around. Don't discount the North Shore of Kauai dcsam. Makai Cottages are very cute (but also expensive) and if you are military, seek a place that gives military discounts. I don't know if Makai does.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'll second (or third) "Waimea Plantation Cottages".......sounds like a perfect fit for the OP.

Quiet, pretty much "kid free" resort of restored sugar plantation workers homes set in an expanse of grass and coconut palms....."on the beach" (but not a swimmable one) with a basic but lovely pool. You can drive about 15 minutes to Salt Pond County Park in Hanapepe for great swimming and lovely beach park however.

And on the lovely West Side of Kaua'i, the least touristy area of the island and the most quiet.

http://www.waimea-plantation.com/

Fabulous place!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Washington
Level Contributor
457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Holy Cow!

You all are amazing! What quick replies. Thanks so much. I just heard about the Waipoli place from a couple we recently met. But it looks too 'kid friendly'. So I will definitely check out your other suggestions for Kauai. As for The Big Island, I'm thinking the Mauna Lani area. Would you agree?

Thanks so much.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,521 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Be ready for some sticker shock in rates compared to the cottages at Barking Sands, they're a STEAL! Someday, we're coming in Winter to stay there...it is terribly hot for the most part in Summer.

Since your hubby has walking issues, I'd consider Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville. The condo complex is very spread out, but there is golf cart service from the parking lot to/from your condo and to/from the beach down below - same beach shared with the St. Regis. Make sure you rent from a private party where the unit is owned rather than from a site like Expedia where you could end up with a tired timeshare unit. Summit Pacific has many of the units listed.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

If you do decide on HBR, my suggestion is stay in the 2000 or 3000 building. Those two buildings are closest to the lobby, pool and parking lot, otherwise you are at the mercy of the of the golf cart attendants.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

Oh, yes, and tossing in anoher vote for the Hanalei Bay Resort......they are not on a beach, but you can call the concierge,and he will arrive with a golf cart, and drive you down a natural lush path to the beach, and when you are ready, there is a direct phone there at the beach, and they will come and pick you up.

Also, it from the 2000 building, he can easily walk a few yards to a small pool by the bbq lania, or to the tropical style main pool, with waterfalls.

Decisions, decisions.

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barking Sands is full - any other sugg. for laid-back beachf

<<Also, it from the 2000 building, he can easily walk a few yards to a small pool by the bbq lania, or to the tropical style main pool, with waterfalls.>>

The walk from the 2000 building would be too far to the small pool and bbq area I am afraid. It is very close to the large lagoon pool and even the fire pit area.