We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photocamera

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Photocamera

Thank you everyone for great posts and helpful info, I learned so much on this forum already!

Would you mind to share what camera do you use for your photos on Kauai?

I use iphone and considering buying an actual camera for much better quality pictures of amazing Kauai, but prefer it to be easy to use, and lightweight. Does such exist?

And do you use separate waterproof camera and which one for snorkeling/boat ride pictures or just put water-protective case on your camera and which case do you use?

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photocamera

I use a Digital SLR but I also bought a point and shoot for this trip... Olympus TG-3... its waterproof up to 50ft and shock proof till 7ft and takes great pics... I figured that way I dont have to worry about it if it rains or if while hiking I drop it....

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photocamera

There's a terrific section on cameras/photography under top questions. We have some amazing photographers who contribute on this forum. I highly suggest checking out all the top questions and especially the one on photography.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photocamera

Paul, thank you very much!

Jebett, thank you. I have read top questions but would love updated info and more opinions and ideas.

Keep suggestions coming!

Redlands
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photocamera

I think I'm going to get a lifeproof case for my iphone.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photocamera

Thank you, Mzzdub. I like this idea, to protect the iphone.

Anyone else can share re cameras you use?

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photocamera

We have Canon D20. Love it! So easy to use & takes great pics in & out of water. I take lot of pics with my iPhone too but the D20 takes amazing vibrant shots which the phone camera can't do. But I'm thinking I'd like to get a Go-Pro now. You'll see many people with it.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photocamera

Scoshi, thank you

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photocamera

I have a Canon T3i with several lenses. Carrying them can get heavy but I have yet to leave them home! I also have what is known as a 'bridge camera", a Panasonic Z200, as a back up when I don't want all the weight on my back. A bridge"" camera is not an SLR but can do a lot of things in a much lighter package in that it has zoom and wide angle capacity, good resolution and a lot of other features. A lot of people like the little pocket cameras which are convenient and some take excellent shots. Unfortunately, they don't have optical viewfinders which I consider a necessity, especially in an environment where I'm taking photos in the sun and can't see a thing on an LCD screen. I confess I also use my IPHONE for snapshots in places where it's challenging to focus and point a camera quickly and it takes pretty good shots, especially in outdoor light. Since I go to Kauai every year, I think I need to get an underwater camera next as have only used the throwaway type in the past. the Go-Pro intrigues me but the reviews are not all that great. If you want some photos that have good enough resolution to enlarge. you will probably regret just relying on your phone.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 05:03
Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photocamera

Seaspirit, thank you very much! Just 1 month remains prior to our 1st trip to Kauai and Ivreally want to do great photos but without carrying extra weight. Not sure such camera exist

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
403 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photocamera

You can get really good results from a compact point and shoot in decent lighting. The imaging technology is pretty much all the same so the choices are really personal preference in button layout, rechargeable battery vs disposable, and memory card type IMHO. The big DSLRs stand out in lower light or action shots but even so require doing a fair amount of homework on basic functions to get the best results. I take 2 DSLR's (nikon d800&d200) and a nikon aw110 waterproof point and shoot.

We'll be there in a month as well so you may end up in one of my pictures if you're in Hanalei LOL