We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from the south to the north

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from the south to the north

How long does it take driving from Poipu to the North Shore for a day of sightseeing? No hiking. Want to hit the hot spots. What would they be? We probably want to drive as far as Princeville. Which beaches are the best to stop at along the way? Leaving Poipu around 10ish probably. Want to be back by dinner time.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from the south to the north

From Poipu to Princeville figure 1 1/2 hours. I can do it in a little less time, but thats at 8pm. It has even taken me 2 hours with a traffic jam in Kapaa, but 1 1/2 is a good timeframe to plan at 10 am. If I were going all the way to the North Shore I would continue at the very least into Hanalei. To drive to the North Shore and not see Hanalei and Hanalei Bay, would be a shame.

I would stop at Kealia in Kapaa, Anini Beach or Mo'oloa and then onto Hanalei Bay. I would also stop at the lighthouse and even if you don't want to take the tour, drive to the entrance and get out to take some photos. Its beautiful. Have lunch in Hanalei and if you have time drive to the end of the road, Ke'e Beach or even a stop at Lumahai Beach is lovely.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from the south to the north

The drive is beautiful! And the scenery gets better the further north you go. You should actually go far north as you can if you have the time. You should @ the very least go to Hanalei, just another 10-15 minutes north of Princeville.

There are many places to stop. You'll be inspired to stop & shoot many times. But if you want to check out waterfalls, you'll have to take small detours. If you've not seen Wailua Falls (Fantasy Island), might be worth it for you. Also the street up from Coco Palms, the Opaeka Falls is beautiful and not too far off. Kilauea Light House is a must stop for many. But like I said, the whole drive is so scenic, especially past Kapaa, the drive in itself is an event/activity.

If you're leaving Poipu @ 10, have lunch in Hanalei then check out the beaches there before continuing on north. Every turn and over every single lane bridges, the panorama will be even more impressive. Just take your time & enjoy the ride. Then on your return drive, have an early dinner @ Hukilau Lanai.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from the south to the north

Haha, jebett, great minds think alike!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from the south to the north

Thanks everyone!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from the south to the north

You don't want to miss Hanalei - and if you have time, drive until the road ends - it isn't that much further and you can really say you saw the north shore. :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from the south to the north

Should we drive all the way north first and work our way back stopping then???

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from the south to the north

I would drive to the end and work your way back. The north shore is magic and gets more and more beautiful the farther you drive.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from the south to the north

I would make a pit stop first. Maybe the Lighthouse or grabbing a coffee. It doesn't matter but parking is an issue from 8-1.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from the south to the north

I think jebett means parking at Ke`e at the end of the road, not at the lighthouse. ( ? )

Remember, the lighthouse is closed Sunday/Monday and closes daily at 4:15. You can still stop at the overlook outside the preserve gate.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 19:30
California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from the south to the north

Yup! Parking at Ke'e is the issue.