We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

Can you guys please give me your opinions about staying at Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach in July. Are the North or South Beaches better in the summer? We will have 2 teenagers and enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, snorkeling, beach time, and kayaking. We would also like to do some cultural/educational activities, shopping and dining out. Also what you think of Koloa Landing?

Thanks,!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

House for 4 $300-500

House for 8 $500-1000

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

That's sounds about right for a house not directly on the beach. I think your family will love Hanalei. iMO it's perfect for teens....good choice!👍

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

Actually you might be able to get beachfront in that price range or very close. We've rented a place right on Hanalei Bay for six people for $600/nt and will be doing so again in October. This place is one possibility in a good location, almost next to where we're renting this year.

http://www.vrbo.com/184806

Edited: 10 July 2014, 06:38
Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

Shea, that looks really nice. I have walked by it many times when we have stayed at a smaller house on the parking lot at Pine Trees.. Will keep that in mind for a larger group.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

If I picked the south side.. I would probably choose Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club with kids.. Although, Koloa Landing units are nicer. The location I think is much better at the Marriott for kids...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

our fam of 4 has stayed in the palaka, koloko, and in a few weeks will be in paniolo as well. check hanalei land company as they are direct owners of all but the koloko.

http://www.hanaleiland.com/locations.html

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

Thanks again for all of your help. We are starting to narrow down our choices. Do you guys know anything about Pleasant Holidays Hawaii vacation packages?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

As far as package operators go Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays is a good operation. But as with all package deals you lose some control over room choices. Usually, in order to get the package prices down the rooms blocked out for those deals aren't the primo locations in a resort. Most folks on this forum don't use the package approach as they've found they can do it just as cheap if not cheaper on their own and have more control over their vacation.

I'm late to this discussion but I just noticed the comments regarding Koloa Landing and the "heart" of Poipu and I don't see what the problem is. Seems like some took it to mean the heart of Poipu figuratively or in the cerebral sense. I'm sure Wanderlust's intent was that it is in the physical heart of Poipu and I'd have to agree with that. The entire area of the Sheraton, Kiahuna Plantation, Poipu Kapili and yes, Koloa Landing are in the most central area of Poipu and equi-distant to attractions both east and west in Poipu and to the best and most selections of shopping and dining all in walking distance. This is definitely the "central" area of Poipu. How could it be taken any other way.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 01:49
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

<<I'm late to this discussion but I just noticed the comments regarding Koloa Landing and the "heart" of Poipu and I don't see what the problem is.>>

I have to agree! My husband stays at Waikomo Streams Villas (right next to Koloa Landing) on most of his business trips (he's on his way there now). He likes this complex because it is centrally located to all of the restaurants, beaches, and shopping in Poipu. As you know, he usually walks everywhere and this location is perfect. He is also very excited about Roy's moving to Kukui'ula.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Hanalei Bay verses Poi'pu Beach

Yeah, Napa, MartiK.....of course your astute interpretation of my previous post is spot on.

One may have simply inserted the word "in" to my Heart of Poipu comment , and those primed to pounce may have taken a step back.......but it matters not.....

Koloa Landing is a terrific property and is enjoyed by many. Those visitors to the Island that pay for the privilege of staying at the Resort...appreciate the locale , and of course it's "central" location within the Poipu area .

In keeping with our French Canadian Heritage ....c'est le coeur de Poipu...