We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

longer rental

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
800 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
longer rental

I'm researching the possibility of staying on the island for a month or so next year. Some look reasonable until the taxes are added, then not so much. In past posts, it has been mentioned that if you find a property you are interested in that's available when you want it, make an offer. I don't have any idea what a reasonable discount for a month long rental would be. JB and others, any advice on this? I don't want to insult an owner with a lowball offer.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: longer rental

We stay several weeks at a time and find 2 or 3 units within a complex we like on VRBO then let the owners know we are shopping for the best deal. Some lower the price per unit, some drop fees, some drop cleaning fee. Last year an owner dropped all three to get our business. We usually start shopping as soon as our flights are ticketed 331 days out.

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: longer rental

Gee! It just depends. Some will drop the cleaning charge, some will discount 10%. Some will discount if there's a resort fee. Some will give you one free night for every ___ days.

Lets put it this way. I think an owner would be insulted if the nightly rate was $200 and you offered $100.

Much of this answer depends on the time of year too. For instance if you are looking into winter season and its Poipu, chances are there is no discount. Princeville from January to April? You should ask for a little deeper discount.

I am in the camp that a good starting point is 10-20% off plus no cleaning charge and ask for a mid stay clean at no charge.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
319 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: longer rental

I had emailed a bunch of owners, almost 20 of them, for their lowest rates for 4 months, January through beginning of May, 2015. I did this in March 2014. Most had said that they don't bother with discounts for longer term since they know they'll fill their rental anyway. There doesn't seem to be much of a "low" season anymore either.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
800 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: longer rental

This is all very helpful! Thanks, everyone.

5. Re: longer rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16