We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Kauai to stay on?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
131 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Kauai to stay on?

We're planning on visiting Kauai for the first time and I am having a hard time deciding which part of the island to stay on. I have been on the Kauai tourism Website, but still can't figure out which would be best--and after a while all the information makes my head feel like exploding. I prefer an area where I can walk to some restaurants and shopping, rather than being in an isolated area with very little around except the resort you're staying in. And if I choose the East side--which I am leaning towards--there are so many communities to choose from. Any advice would be appreciated. We aren't really late-nightlife people, if that helps...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

What time of year you are planning this trip would help to give you some advice. And a nightly budget as well. We are condo people, even when just two of us, as we like the room, and being able to cook some meals in.

Let us know if you want a hotel or condo as well.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

East side you probably want to stay in Kapa`a. The only hotel is a Marriott Courtyard. There are lots of condos. Note that east side beaches are not for swimming.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
131 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

We are planning late April/early May - and probably a condo - although if I can use American Express points to book a hotel, I will do that instead.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
131 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

That might change things -- why are the beaches not for swimming? I'm not much of a swimmer but I do like the water!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

Most of the east side beaches are too rough/dangerous for swimming. So I would pick either south or north, though it sounds like Poipu may be a good area for you. What is your nightly budget and how many days do you have for your vacation? :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

That time of year the best swimming conditions would be usually found on the South Shore, in the Po'ipu Beach area, where there are many great swimming beaches.

The East Side doesn't have many swimmable beaches (Lydgate Park, Kalapaki Bay).

The North Shore is also a possibility, although late April/May can be "iffy" - just depends on the year. The North Shore generally experiences rough ocean conditions during the winter months, it can go either way during the time of year you are coming.

If being in the ocean for swimming is important to you, I'd check out the South Shore, since ocean conditions are generally good when you are here.....there are no guarantees however and no matter where you stay or what time of year, always check daily ocean conditions before swimming.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
131 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

Nightly budget - I was hoping to keep it under $150 a night - I know Hawaii is costly, which is why I am hoping to use my points. We will probably stay a week.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

Kaua‘i is the oldest of the Hawaiian islands. Many parts, especially the East side is open ocean....nothing protects the shore...rocks, currents, washing machine conditions...not suitable for swimming. There is a lot of info on Kaua‘i under Top Questions to the right of this page.

Kaua‘i has very few hotels compared to the number of vacation rentals (condos, cottages, homes). For the most part, walking to restaurants/shopping isn't really possible like it would be in Waikiki.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

People choose the eastside (most consider Kapaa to be the eastside, but Lihue is as well) for many reasons including budget, wanting to be centrally located on the island etc. Its certainly isn't my favorite area, but for many they love it. In a budget of $150 a night you have a few options including some hotels. Kauai Beach Resort (Lihue), Courtyard By Marriott in Kapaa. There are also many timeshare resorts that have nightly stays for people. I like Kauai Coast Resort/ Beachboy. At $150 a night, you won't find a hotel in Poipu. The Sheraton has the least expensive rooms and they are almost $250/nt. Hyatt is almost $350 to $400. A condo you might find at around that price, but if you up the budget to $200, you have more options.

As far as the eastside beaches, those right behind the hotels are very rough and in some locations no sand at all. Further up the road is a a lovely beach called Kealia and if stay near the lifeguards its nice to go in. Lydgate is down the road and a small spot to snorkel, but the end of April is usually nice on the both the north and south side too. Its a transitional ocean time, so you need to check the daily ocean reports.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Kauai to stay on?

Kaua‘i Coast Resort might be a good choice. One of the BEST restaurants on the island, Hukilau Lanai is right there, plus it is walking distance to other restaurants/shopping in Kapa‘a (though I still think driving is the best option).

There is nothing in the way of restaurants or shopping near Kaua‘i Beach Resort. At $150.00 or under, your best bet will be a condo. Shoot, you can get a studio at Islander on the Beach for around $100.00 or less. You do need to factor in cleaning charge and taxes. Actually, there would be quite a few condo choices in Princeville, Po‘ipu, even Kilauea (cottage, apt), but forget about walking.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 01:06