We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kauai Affordable??

portland
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Kauai Affordable??

Hi I am wondering if someone can ease my fears. I have heard that Hawaii is very, very expensive. I am just wondering if it is possible to go to Hawaii on a low budget. I think I am looking at being able to spend 100.00 a day there? Arew there things that I must do that cost money, and any fun low cost places to see?

Thank you in advance.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

Yes my deoderant and milk is expensive, but still under $5! LOL. Don't worry, visiting Hawaii is completely affordable, it's more a matter of how you allocate the money you have. Especially on Kauai, there are very reasonable places to stay and eat, so making that $100/day budget is absolutely possible. Kauai has so many natural wonders to visit, that you can even skip out on pricey activities and still have the time of your life!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

Beaches are free. Hiking is free. Waimea Canyon is free. Snorkeling is free (or inexpensive if you have to rent equipment).

Lots of info:

www.kauaidiscovery.com Free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com

www.gohawaii.com Free brochure

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good driving tours

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.thisweek.com This Week on Kauai XXX

www.spotlighthawaii.com Kauai Gold XXX

www.101thingstodo.com 101 Things to do on Kauai XXX

XXX- These also have free hard copy brochures with lots of info & coupons. Pick them up at airport baggage area & other places on Kauai.

Some budget info for all islands:

budgettravelonline.com/bt-dyn/…index.html

Here are some sites for activity warehouses. Perhaps you can find something in your budget:

www.hawaiiactivities.com

www.hawaiifun.org

www.activityworld.com

I haven't used any of them because I like to do the free or inexpensive things. But, it will give you an idea of what the activities cost.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

There have been a few posts recently where people came to Kauai on a shoestring budget and had a great time. Some camped and some did the budget hotels. Don't worry, you don't have to stay at the Hyatt - there's lots of choices.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

Denny's breakfast is about twice the price as back home(don't go to either) food shops at varying prices all over. Besides will all the free roaming chickens I don't think anyone could go hungry. Good advice above, years ago sister in law camped on beach for 10 days after college. There are even hostel type places. Try to get a copy of the blue book on kauai as a must guide.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

Hawaii is one of the most inexpensive places to go! It just depends on YOU and where you want to stay, what you want to eat, etc. As far as eating, Oahu has a gazillion cheap places to eat. Kauai doesn't have as many, but still has quite a bit.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

We stayed across the road from the ocean in Kekaha for $85 a night I have seen places on vrbo in Princeville for less however they are further from the beach. As mentioned the amount you spend is pretty much up to you our rental car was a midsize ( Dodge Stratus ) the total for three days was $77 we thought that wasn't bad.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

When we used to keep track of our spending, my husband and I averaged about $10 per day. (Okay, it was a while ago, and doesn't include lodging or gas) We eat in or eat cheap. Most activities are free on Kauai, lots of beaches and trails. Take advantage of the free shows in the malls. Rather than spending money in the bars at night, buy your own beverages and enjoy them around the pool, socializing with other visitors, who might be able to recommend cheap and free activities.

While I don't think any paid activity is a must, if you do want to splurge on an activity, do your research and pick the ones that mean the most to you. I've been going to Kauai for 33 years and haven't done most of the popular activities offered - never taken a helicopter ride, ziplined, rode horseback or floated down any ditches. I've only recently started enjoying the Na Pali boat tours and kayaking up the rivers. There's plenty of natural beauty to enjoy before you need to start spending money on activities. Just drive around and explore!

8. Re: Is Kauai Affordable??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 03:20