We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

Wife and I will be in Kauai 11/27 thru 12/6. Like to plan an over night to another island.. any recommendations. Like to stay on Maui and sightsee and a laua...

Anyone island hopped before?

Any recommendations where to stay for 1 night?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

You have to take a flight - most of us would recommend Hawaiian airlines. Budget for hotel? I would recommend Old Lahaina luau on Maui. You might post on the Maui forum. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

Nine nights is barely enough time to stay on two islands. Would this mean two interisland flights? Each will run aout $100 pp and will eat almost half a day, door to door.

I'd plan Maui for a future trip. (We fly AA to Maui from ORD most winters -- a 767 nonstop from DFW.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

You have 9 nights. Are you flying in and out of Honolulu or flying directly to Kauai? I would spend 5 nights on Kauai and 4 on Oahu.

The thing about Island-hopping is ... you cannot "hop." Those days ended on 9/11. You have to arrive at the airport 90 minutes in advance, the full security process ... and it ain't cheap. And you may have a layover in Honolulu on your way to Maui. Can't check into a hotel until mid-afternoon, either.

Maui - I would never spend one-day or one-night on Maui. WAY, way too much to do and see. By the time you got your bearings, you would leave. More sensible for an overnight is the Hilo side of the Big Island. See Volcanoes National Park.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

I think if you want to island hop you should consider a cruise ... otherwise for one night it's not worth it.

California
Level Contributor
37,007 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

Sure you can do it, but I sure wouldn't.

1. Maui airport is a zoo

2. Renting a car for one day is $$$$

3. Where you want to stay depends on what you want to do. Old Lahainai Luau is great so stay down that way. Sheraton is a favorite of mine or Hyatt.

4. There are few direct flights from Kauai to Maui and visa versa which means going through HNL is a possibility. That makes that travel day very long.

If I were doing this I would fly direct to one island, island hop to the other and fly out of that island. I would not do this mid stay.

5. Only spending one night on Mauai is a sin to me. If you were going to Maui and wanted one night on Lana'i I would say good call. Kauai to Maui? Nope. Stay longer.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,263 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

I would instead consider spending two or three nights on Oahu on the end of your trip - you could see Pearl Harbor and check out Waikiki and the great restaurants, north shore beaches. 5-6 nights is a good amount of time for Kauai, the smallest of the main four islands.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 05:12
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

All I can recommend is what we would do.

We would not fly over to Maui, for one night.....we love stay cations on the Valley Isle, but we spend about 5 or six days at a minimum, and that is not counting travel time. Maui is a great and wonderful island, but should be visited so that you can really enjoy the island.

Also, splitting up islands, might largely depend on what you intend to do and see and explore while visiting kauai. If you are active, that time is going to past in a nano second. And you are not going to run out of things to see and do on kauai.

If a shorter stays suits you, then you might want to spend a few days on Maui, but, and this is a big but, leaving early in the a.m, and if you do not get a direct flight stopping in HNL, and then continuing on to Maui is going to whack one of your precious days.....add checking out of your lodging, getting to LIH early, make sure the rental car is fueled, going thru TSA, boarding the flight, the flight direct, or thru HNL, getting on the next flight if required, getting bags at Maui, getting the rental car, driving and checking into the hotel.....we just would rather not do all that.

Now, if you want to spend more time on Maui, not just one day, which will be filled with travel duties, then it might be worth it.

Have we split islands ?....yep, but it was six days on the big island, and ten days on Kauai. That worked out pretty darned well. In 12 years of visits, we elected to do that only once, we mostly spent two weeks on one island. Our shorter stay cations.....a week on Maui, or the BI. We have a great time on our neighbor islands, but need time to experience them in a proper way.

One of these days we are going to make to Oahu, and go on the hero tour, of the arizona, bow fin, mighty mo, and the air museaum, and party down at the Irish pubs in honolulu. Plus get up to the beautiful north shore and away from waikiki , and all that traffic. Lots for us to see there.....

Just another opinion, and we all have different views and desires and values.........all of them count.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Middletown...
Level Contributor
874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

This past spring was the second time that we did 3 days in Honolulu before heading over to Kauai for 2 weeks. We enjoyed the itinerary so much that we plan the same thing for next year. We have been to Oahu many times, usually for extended stays. So our "pre-cation" is very different than visiting an island for the first time with a 24hr hit-and-run. The couple of days in Oahu allows us to visit friends and family, check out the latest "hot" and up-and-coming dining spots, visit an exhibit at the art museum, shop at Ala Moana, etc. Stuff that just isn't available on Kauai. Then we are fully acclimated to island time from the east coast and ready to quit the "big city" for laid back Kauai.

I have nothing to add to what others have said about breaking up a stay on Kauai with a quick go to Maui. I think you will mess up your vacation with a lot of extra stress and time spent in airports for little gain. Now the only time when we interrupted a two week stay on Kauai was about 8 years ago when we hopped back to Oahu for 2 days to attend a big celebration with my sister who lives there. We stayed at her place and she picked us up, so no need for hotel or car reservations. It still drilled a hole into the middle of our vacation, but not attending the event was out of the question. I would never consider doing something similar just to sightsee.

10. Re: Island Hop from Kauai to Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:16