We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai condos

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Kauai condos

We are planning on heading to Kauai in November for Thanksgiving. What recommendations can you give for condo's in Kauai? I have been looking at Kuhio Shores and there is availabilty but am not sure of the area and what the bay side, ground floor units are like. Any recommendations for a particular unit/view and booking agents?

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai condos

I've booked unit #303 at Kuhio Shores, directly from the owner. I found the best way was to go to www.kuhioshores.net, check each of the units and the availability, and then click on the link that will send an email directly to the owner. Just ask them any questions, including whether or not it is still available (sometimes the "availability" calendar isn't updated instantaneously). Unit #303 is a bayview unit, which I prefer for two reasons: (1) price is a bit more reasonable, and (2) I wanted a sunrise view from my unit. I also did not want a ground-floor unit, as I like being away from any possible ground noise (including people walking by and being able to see inside my unit). I've never had any bad experiences renting directly from the owner. This will also be my first time staying at Kuhio Shores, but I hear the location cannot be beat if you want to be close to the ocean.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai condos

Hi -- we have stayed at Kuhio Shores several times over the years and have always liked it there. In January we go for the oceanfront units, since we like to whalewatch from the lanai. Otherwise, we usually go for the bayside units. They are shaded from the afternoon sun and stay a little cooler and the bayside view is quite beatiful. Many of the units have undergone extensive renovation in recent years and their rental prices reflect that.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai condos

I forgot to mention that the week ofl Thanksgiving is pretty popular in Poipu, especially with the PGA Grand Slam going on, so I wouldn't wait around much to get your reservation.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai condos

Can recommend Kuhio Shores, but we prefer the ocean view, ground floor. We love just walking out the door and onto the grass and lava rocks with no restrictions. The bay view receives only morning sun, so if you want afternoon shade, pick bay view. But we go there for the sun, and for the couple of hours in the afternoon when the lanai is in full sun, we're usually gone or we go over to the Beach House lawn and enjoy the shade of their palm trees.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai condos

What particular units at Kuhio Shores have you stayed at? Is there a lot of foot traffic in front of the ground floor condo's? I have also read that there is some road noise?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai condos

We have stayed at #108, 416, #302 and a few others I can't remember. All were fine (at least at the time we were there.)There really isn't a lot of foot traffic around the ground units, other than other people staying there. You might notice the road noise a bit if you are in the bayside units closest to the road, which would be units 02,03 . But it never really bothered us. '09 are corner units and numbers above face oceanfront.

ATLANTA, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai condos

Don't know if you want to stay near Poipu, but if not... in Kapaa, there is a beautiful property, Lanikai managed by Castle Resorts. Kapaa is centrally located...in the middle of the island on the east... pretty much equi-distant to Poipu and Hanalei/Princeville. Also, it is easy to walk to restaurants / groceries / shopping from this area. Lanikai has only 18 units, so it is rather quiet but has very nice units. We have stayed there

many times and have never been disappointed.

8. Re: Kauai condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 10:21