We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather this week

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
weather this week

First trip to Kauai. We get in Thursday night.

Weather on iPhone says rain all week! I expected a shower every day, but now I feel pessimistic.

Is it still off and on, as expected, or is it just a rainy week

Thanks!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather this week

well, here we go again. The kauai visitor is faked out by the weather forcasts and pictures of rain when the forecast is for east to north east tradewinds and chance of rain 30%. That is the normal forecast every day all year long. Except when we have a winter low pressure front moving in over the islands and that in not in the forecast.

The other times :

Kona winds from the south.....when the pacific high breaks down, and the tradewinds stop.....then it is generally hot and muggy with the possibiltiy of VOG coming up from the volacano on the Big Island.

We like the TRADEWINDS.....it is a good thing. Actually, we pay a lot of attention to the wind direction and that gives us a pretty good idea of what is going to occur as to precip.

Hurricane: Season runs from about July thru October or so. September is usually the most prevelent month for hurricanes. NWS Hurricane guessers are saying that if El Nino develops ,the Pacific will have more hurricane activity than normal, but that is not specific to kauai, that is to the large area of the pacific ocean.

We often receive posts from worried or pessimistic visitors especially if they watch the weather channel , or even look at the NWS daily photos......it would bother anyone.....but if they look more into a detailed report and look at the wind direction and the chance of rain percentage and see we have NE to E trades and the usual 30% chance of rain ...which are transiting rain cells in the tradewind clouds and a very brief in duration......that is normal good weather.

Our method of weather guessing.

1, Look out the window

2. Look up toward the mountains...note if clear, or dark rain clouds....important if hiking or kayaking

3. Feel the wind direction, or look at flags. Watch the types of clouds and their direction of movement.

4. Look at the ocean condition, white caps, swells, and wind waves on top of the swells.

Make our decison as to our daily activities.

And try to catch a HNL TV station wx report...and serach weather underground on the computer.

90% of the time that we receive stressed out posts on the upcoming weather, it turns out just fine if we have trades and only 30% chance of rain. And the visitor has a great kauai vacation.

all of the above is to help out folks who are headed this way, to relax, and not stress over the weather reports that just show pictures of rain coming out of clouds.

Hop on that airplane, order a maitai and get on kauai time. In about five hours you will be arriving and life will be good. And, now you too will be able to predict the daily weather like a local.

E Komo Mai ( welcome to kauai )

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
839 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather this week

When we were in Kauai last month, the weather forecast was for rain every day. It did rain, every day, briefly. We didn't change any of our plans based on weather, and I am glad that we didn't.

One day in Poipu we were floating along in the water when a pretty good rain storm came through. Grey skies, raining, yucky. Lots of people packed up and left. We stayed in the water, waiting 15 minutes, and then the rain stopped. Then another 15 minutes later, the blue skies returned. At that point, we had blue skies, beautiful weather, and a much less crowded beach.

I looked at webcams a lot. One day the weather in Hanalei looked yucky for an extended period of time, so we stuck to Salt Pond. Look around the island, and you are sure to find good weather somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather this week

I am here right now. On my phone it says rain every day... It does rain. Most of the time I've been here, it was literally a 3 minute sprinkle if not less. Now yesterday was nasty. Fausto came on shore and it was gray, rainy off and on for an hour or more all over the island, humid, but today OMG!!! It is spectacular. So here's how to read the forecast. If it says 20%, 30%, it is a brief, brief shower someplace. If it says 50%, 70%, you can expect more. Maybe its at night, maybe at 6am. God just turns on the sprinklers now and then so Kauai can be green and beautiful. Don't worry. It will be gorgeous.

California
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather this week

Fausto didn't visit Poipu yesterday. I was out on the beach from 9-3 and got nothing more than a light sprinkle for a minute or two-- a beautiful day.

It's funny how it'll be raining in one spot and five minutes away it's bright and sunny. Our daughter is staying in Old Town Koloa and they get quite a bit more rain than we do here in Poipu.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather this week

Thanks, all. We'll have to take what we get. 30% is the lowest chance of rain. I think 60% was highest.

It rained off and on during our honeymoon 10 years ago in Tahiti and the rain did put a damper on things-- mainly for concern over lightning. And it made snorkeling less than spectacular.

I like rain, it rained on our outdoor wedding day and we dealt with it, god knows we need the rain here in LA desperately. Wish I could take that storm forecast and move it over to LA. It would just be nice to have at least a few hours of sun in Kauai each day... mostly for snorkeling's sake.

But we get what we get and will enjoy our vacation nonetheless.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
California
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather this week

Believe me, you'll get way more than a few hours of sun. Didn't get a drop in Poipu today. You'll be fine. 😎

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Scottsdale
Level Contributor
105 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather this week

We also just got back, stayed in Haena and Princeville for the last 10 days. Like you I was worried about the forecast. It did indeed sprinkle or rain a bit everyday usually early in the AM or late at night. Otherwise it was just gorgeous! So don't pay attention to the forecast on your phone and enjoy it all!!

Mentioned in this post
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,981 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather this week

Here's a better weather site to follow: http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php . Mainland weather sites and channels don't have a clue. 30% chance of rain generally means 30% chance that it will rain somewhere on the island. It's unusual for the entire island to be socked in at this time of year.

California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather this week

60% means you'll see some significant rain, sometime during the day for more than a few minutes.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
997 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather this week

Siri knows about as much about the weather in Kauai as Dallas Raines - you'll be fine!