We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

San Francisco...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

We are in Kauai for a week starting early September and I'm really excited about the helicopter ride. I've been reading posts on what time to take the heli tour which has left me confused. I'm particularly interested in Mt Waialeale (and hoping the weather is good enough to fly inside the crater) and of course the Napali coast. If I book the afternoon tour which is optimal for Napali will we be able to get into the crater? or should I play it safe and do the morning tour. I understand its all up to the weather gods regardless, but I'm hoping to make the best bet!

Looking forward to your opinions!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

you are right.....it is a tough call, and depends on the weather kahuna. We have had good luck at about 10:00am...

However, some days it is crystal clear in the morning....other days the clouds cover the mountains in the morning and clear up later. Other days Waialeale is obscured all day long.

It will be the luck of the draw and trying to predict or give you an absolute guarantee it is very difficult if not impossible..

What happens with our normal trades, fair weather clouds will be associated with the airmass. they roll up along the tall mt. waialeale and kind of just hang out there. But, from our observations, mid morning seems to be about the best chance, but it really is day by day, hour by hour.

Wishing you good fortune on being presented with a totally clear day, and your helo being able to enter the caldera and hover a few feet from the long tumbling water falls. However, you are likely to see other waterfalls as well along your circle island route.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 20:59
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

We took a trip with Mauna Loa Helicopters at the end of May, at 11:30am. We were VERY fortunate to be able to fly into the crater, definitely one of the highlights for me. Our pilot said it doesn't happen very often that the weather cooperates like that. At that time of day, pretty much all of the island had good lighting, including Na Pali.

We may have just gotten lucky that day, but it might be wise to pick an in-between time to get the best of both worlds?

Have a great flight! It is awesome!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

We were just there last week and took a tour with Safari Helicopters. Our flight was at 3:30 and we were able to get into the crater. The pilot said we were lucky. It seems to just be a luck of the draw thing. The tour was awesome, by the way!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

We took a tour with Safari Helicopters in 1996. It was one of those very rare days when there were NO clouds up at Mt. Waialeale. The pilot took us up to the crater and it was amazing. He did tell us that it's very, very unusual and they can only take you up there if there are NO clouds. I guess I would not count on it. Maybe you'll get lucky! AND we have a video (that Safari Helicopters provides along with our commentary).

Edited: 23 July 2014, 02:35
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

We toured with Blue Hawaiian in Feb. on a 9am flight. The time in the crater was amazing...I still get chicken skin remembering it. Good luck, hope you get to experience it.

San Francisco...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

I booked a 10 am flight to play it safe. I can only hope luck is on our side that day. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

7. Re: Waialeale Crater on Helicopter Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:15