We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Ke'e beach

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at Ke'e beach

I read on another thread that we "need to get to Ke`e either very early or about lunch time to find parking". What time is lunch time? Is it noon or 2 pm? Is tbere s better chance to find parking after 2-3 pm? Are conditions still good gor snorkeling on afternoon or mornings are much better?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

by noon the early birds will be leaving but theres also a lot of people in your situation so it's a role of the dice. The water is generally calmer in the morning but that's a role of the dice as well insofar as snorkeling conditions go.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
964 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

Really busy in August, but you'll have a better shot midweek. If there is none, try parking at Ha'ena and walk back over to Tunnels, a 5-10 min stroll along the sand. The snorkelling is usualy good there, but can get crowded as well. Walking on the beach to Ke'e from Ha'ena is doable, but it's more like an hour walk, may be tough with an 11yo....

Washington
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

We were there at the end of June and tried to get parking on a Thursday around 3:30,....nothing. Kept circling for an opening (along with about 20 other cars!) then finally gave up.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

We were last up at Ke'e Beach area to hike the Hanakapiai Trail about a year ago. We drove up from Lihue to meet a fellow TA'er to hike with us. His wife dropped him off...they were staying in princeville, About a 1000 tourists had the same idea......it is a magnet for the masses.

We arrived at 7:30 am, and the parking was filled. We found a small indented area that we parked in, going up hill into some bushes 90 degrees to the road.....there were the usual NO PARKING signs.....but we were well up and off the road. Lucked out .....no ticket.

This was our last trip up there.....too many people, no parking, and too far. And this is not our first time up there, we have been going up to hike hanakapiai and enjoy ke'e for 20 years as visitors and as residents.

Suggest that you give it a try, if you wish, but have a plan B or C in to divert to one of the other beautiful north shore beaches.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

The place is packed due to hikers not beach goers.Got there last week at 8:30 and had to go to the next nearest lot 5-10 min as Denny said. Beach was empty. On the way back a few hours later Both sides of the road all the way to Haena park were illegally parked cars.

It was always tough even 20 yrs ago but lingering a few minutes would get you a spot at the beach. They did remove many spots near the showers and also added the lifeguard station in recent yrs.It's the constant stories of must do hikes that I feel has caused this.

4th of July weekend I almost decided never to return to Kauai. Cars lined up almost to Hanalei and the pier and Hanalei beach was just as bad.

Why is there a lifeguard station now at Ke'e anyway?

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

Thank you very much for all the replies. Will try to get there early, and to have a plan B if come on afternoon

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

There are so many overnighters for the hike that its causing more parking issues. I would vote for no overnight parking at Ke'e and Haena.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

Interesting idea JBett. That would probably help a bit.

On a Tuesday in May, we got there around 8:30 a.m. & the lot was about 2/3 full. When we left a couple hours later, it was packed, the road was packed with cars along the side & people were circling around looking for parking. Our spot was snapped up immediately. When we got there, there were very few people on the beach, but more arrived throughout the morning.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

any difference between afternoon options- noon vs 1 pm vs 2 pm vs 3 pm vs 4 pm for parking and snorkeling?

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at Ke'e beach

In several trips to Kauai I have NEVER gotten a spot at Ke'e. This next week we are going to get there super early because it is on my bucket list.....I WILL get a spot at Ke'e~! Let you know if I am successful.