We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

I am wandering if I should get shoes for this trip? I was planning to pack only flipflops and sandals since I will not be hiking, but wandering if shoes needed for anythig else? Activities planned: swimming/snorkeling, boat tour, helicopter tour, walking on the beaches making pictures of sunsets. May be a garden tour if still have time.

considering those:

http://www.olukai.com/

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

I have several pairs of Olukais (slippahs, not the shoes) that I wear for basically every occasion, including dress-up at nice restaurants. I only wear shoes (or boots or trail sandals) for hiking, running and at the gym.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 04:06
California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

I have four pairs of Olukais with me now--love them. Probably didn't need to bring that many, but they don't take up much room : )

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

Nope, no other shoes needed if you are not hiking. Check out Zappo's for some fun Alegria sparkle slippahs.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

What are these things called "shoes"?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

I always bring a pair of tennies. I wear them on the plane, too. I love my sandals, but in the heat - or if I have not worn them for a while - I do get blisters. Tennies (w/ankle socks) are a comfortable alternative - especially at night.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

For Kauai, I wear tennis shoes on the plane and bring a casual pair of flip flops for the day and a nicer pair of sandals for the evening.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I only wear rubbah slippahs (flip flops mainland speak!) - except for my trainers that I wear for exercise type walking.

That's it! Island style!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

I took some high heels to the mainland recently and felt like a 5 year old tottering around playing dress up (not to mention the makeup I seldom wear here...) That's one way you know you've been in Hawaii a long time...

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

Unless you are hiking or horseback riding, leave the tennis shoes at home. Bring a comfy pair of sandals (I wear mine on the plane), one for the pool (rubber type flip flops) and another for evening. They don't take up much room or better yet, go to Sandal Tree at The Hyatt or Macy's and buy a cute pair of sandals. They will always remind you of your vacation.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you wear shoes for anything other than hiking?

Jebett, I wear tennis shoes on the plane for safety reasons and to keep my toes warm. They tend to over AC the plane. I'll wear the tennis shoes for our morning power walks as well.