We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

Leaving in 6 days and couldn't be more excited!!! Wondering if, given that Kauai is an island, are there restrictions as to what you can and cannot bring food-wise? I checked the Lihue airport website but couldn't find any info. We don't arrive until 7:30pm and by the time we get our rental car and get checked into the HBR it'll be far to late to pick-up food, not to mention we'll have been travelling for 16 hrs at that point. I'm hoping to bring some granola bars, trailmix, nuts etc. for travel snacks and to get us through our first morning until we can get to a grocery store to stock up. When I went to Australia they actually had dogs in the airport that sniffed out people's luggage to alert customs to any hidden food!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

Anyhing cooked or packaged should be fine. No fresh fruit or veggies. Check out the USDA site for Hawaii travel restrictions.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

As a blanket restriction, no fruits or vegetables are supposed to be brought onto any of the Hawaiian islands from outside the state of Hawaii. You can eat them on your ride to the islands but then if you have any left, dump them in the trash on the plane or into the amnesty boxes the Dept of Agriculture has at the airport. There are dogs that sniff the luggage but they are more interested in illegal substances than your breakfast.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

For more information you can check out these web sites:

http://www.gohawaii.com/statewide/travel-tips

travelsmarthawaii.com/en/…

hawaii.gov/hnl/…agriculture-declaration-forms

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

You can bring all that stuff in but not fruits and veggies.

As far as picking something up on the way to HBR, there is a small convenience store in the Shell gas station in Kilauea about 10 minutes before the turnoff. I pick up milk etc there. With your arrival at 7:30, you will be at the resort by 9:30 at the latest. That is plenty of time to make a very quick stop at the gas station or even Foodland. In the lobby, there is coffee in the morning and they will give you a Makai card for discounts at Foodland on your key ring.

PS I have never seen dogs at the Kauai airport.

On the way out of Kauai, you go through ag inspection and they WILL find fruits and veggies.

bordertown
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

I've seen dogs at HNL. I don't know what they were seeking.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

@jebett thanks for the 'coffee in the lobby' tip! That will be much needed our first morning after our very very long travel day. Getting to HBR at 9:30 Kauai time will be 3:30am our time but I'll be too excited to sleep in the next day, I'm sure.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

I believe the Safeway in Kapaa will still be open. Or the Foodland in Princeville as Jebett recommended. You may be arriving very late your time but you'll be pumped and a quick run into a grocery store for juice, cereal, whatever, only takes a few minutes. That said, you're fine with bringing in dried packaged things like granola bars.

Just an aside, I remember the days when people brought over everything including frozen meats in coolers. Crazy and unnecessary but some did. I don't know if it was new restrictions that stopped this or if it was because of the new restrictions in carryons. Just glad I don't see that anymore.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

Safeway in Kapa`a will be open and is on your way. Be sure to sign up for the club card to get special deals.

9. Re: Can You Bring Food Onto the Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:16