We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Na Pali in late-November

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Na Pali in late-November

My family and I signed up for a sunset dinner cruise on the Na Pali coast (Captain Andy's) in November (the day before Thanksgiving, actually). I gather the water/weather conditions can be unpredictable in the winter months, but wondering if anyone has an opinion on the likelihood of the sail getting canceled at this time of year?

Any suggestions for a Plan B (for 10 people, two of whom are children) are also welcome, in the event it doesn't even get rerouted to the Poipu side (which I understand is an option, usually).

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Na Pali in late-November

Your chances of a rough ride and seeing very little of the Na Pali at that time of year are fairly high. Plus they go out as much and as far as they can - no guaranteeing it will be a smooth ride! Dinner then would be not ideal. I would be more afraid of the cruise NOT being cancelled if the weather call is up in the air.

If the weather should happen to behave during your time, it would be a lovely option. That is just a very iffy time.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 00:21
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Na Pali in late-November

Thank you for your input! I'll have a Plan B in case all else fails!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,374 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Na Pali in late-November

Different opinion here. November weather is typically very nice and winter has not yet set in on Kauai. Figure later December and forward for the true winter weather and surf conditions. I've taken NaPali tours almost every month of the year and most of them during the Fall and Winter months and I've never had a problem with Fall departures such as November or even December. I think I've had one cancellation and that was in a March. This is with having a good 10+ NaPali tours taken.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Na Pali in late-November

It really is up to mother nature......the boats that are moored or anchored up north in hanalei bay, will be leaving that ancorage in November. Some come down here to Nawiliwili harbor for the winter months.

I think you have a good plan.....what we would also do, is to get on island, check out the conditions, and contact Capt. Andy. If it is bad, they have different options...

1. to re sked

2. totally cancel

3. switch to poipu coast.....( I believe you have the option of accepting or declining the change to poipu )

According to the median monthly rainfall distributions, and again this is average over the years and not necessarily what you will experience.

Up north ( princeville) most rain fall months

Nov.........7.1 in.

Dec........7.2 in

Jan.........6.9 in.

Mar.........7.3 in

The other thing to take into condsideration is the large swells born up in the high northern latitudes by those monster storms that generate the large waves that can come visiting kauai's north shores at that time of year. Again, all that is up to mother nature......and may or may not be a factor when you are here.

Good on ya, for having a plan B.......thinking ahead, and having situational awareness.

5. Re: Na Pali in late-November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:15