We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Saucers!!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Saucers!!

OK, now that I got your attention with the silly subject....

On our last trip to Kauai, we made it to a bon dance. It seemed like a smaller affair than I've seen pictures of, which makes sense since it was in Waimea. My daughter loved one of the foods that we bought at the dance. They called them flying saucers. Some kind of hamburger patty surrounded by some kind of bread. I didn't look too closely, and it was dark, so I couldn't for the life of me tell you what exactly was in them.

Does anyone have a recipe for these little unhealthy delights? We are camping this weekend, and I thought it would be fun to try to make them for her. We have an RV, so oven, stovetop, etc. is no issue.

Thank you in advance!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Saucers!!

The ones we have had are sort of like sloppy joes in a a tartlet. Think you could fake it with sloppy joes in a crimped pastry.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Saucers!!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is a special implement that the folks at the Bon Dances, etc use to make these.

You can do a facsimile of them - but nothing is like the real thing! I eat the tuna filled ones!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Saucers!!

I used to have one.

thekitchn.com/calling-all-sandwich-lovers-th…

Made the best grilled cheese sandwiches.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Saucers!!

It's browned ground beef with tomato sauce and whole kernel corn. Butter two pieces of white bread (you can cut the crust off if you want to make a circle), put some of the sloppy joe mixture between the two slices. Grill it in a skillet while pressing it down. Ta-dah!

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
774 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Saucers!!

I have never heard of this, and now I am intensely craving this!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Saucers!!

Thank you all! I'm not off to search for that grilling device. :)

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
545 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Saucers!!

what you need for camping is a bush pie iron …shaw.ca/northernlitehikers/pieiron.htm

California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Saucers!!

Yes thats what we used to have. Maybe we still do....I will need to dig deep in the camping box.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Saucers!!

Same as bush pies. You can buy the pie maker and fill with savory or sweet. Some are square, some are round. Kids love both and sitting around the fire cooking them, too!

denville, nj
Level Contributor
706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Saucers!!

One of my favorite foods at the Kauai Farm Bureau Fair in August. Now I'm craving them too.