We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Kauai

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Kauai

So after 24hrs of travel we've finally arrives at HBR...In the dark though so I'm excited to wake up to paradise today. Just a quick question about tipping. There are people here who can shuttle you from front desk to condo and then condo to beach, if you'd like. Is it customary to tip every time?

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Kauai

I would say, do they provide to you a service you enjoy? Then yes. Is it the same person every time? If it is, maybe talk to them and tell them you are there for whatever amount a time and give them a lump sum accordingly so you do not have to dig for money every trip.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Kauai

I do most of the time but its part of the services. I tip a few bucks to $5 if they are carrying lots of luggage and groceries (like first time to unit) and a buck or two if driving to the beach with lots of equipment, but not if its just to my car because I am too lazy to walk.

The morning attendants are different than the evening attendants and they do not pool their tips. So if you think one guy deserves more you can always give a bit more at the end of your stay. When you check out, if you really thought Ryan or Kipo or Tommy went out of their way, they have an envelope you can put a tip in. You can also not tip during your stay and just do it that way. Make sure you put your name down and unit number you stayed in so they know. They are super helpful and will go out of their way no matter if you tip or not. Have fun.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Kauai

The staff at HBR are fantanstic......we would go along with Joan's idea.

Great that you have selected HBR as your accomodations......we love, and I mean love the Hanalei Bay Resort. Everything is very special...the views, the property, the units, the staff, the main pool, and the other aloha filled guests.

Truly is a special place.

E Komo Mai

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Kauai

Just thought I would add in our tipping policies for restaurants and activities.

We understand that the skippers, guides, wait staff, etc,, are not the owners of the business. They are working mighty hard to please the guests , visitors or residents.

Our tip meter :

1. Smiles, and aloha.......meter goes up......steril politeness or indifference meter goes down.

2. Good service, attentiveness, and of course good meals, and drinks....meter goes up.

Almost always, we tip 20%.......at resturants and bars.

For activities, like nalapli coast tours, and other major fun adventures, we leave $ 20.00 for the two of us.

Those tips should be pooled and split by the crew.

Infact, on napali trips, I am quiet, but have a $ 20.00 in my hand for other passengers to see, and maybe they might also give a gratuitity...totally up to the individual.

I realize that the OP, did not ask about other tipping, but just FYI, that is what we practice. Just a little extra aloha gift for those who have been taking care of us.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 22:49
Middletown...
Level Contributor
895 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Kauai

We've been going to HBR now for 17+ years (has it really been that long?!?!) and know most of the staff and they know us. At checkin we will tip if we need help with our multitude of gear (dive/golf/etc) just as we would a bellman at a hotel bringing bags to the room. During our stay we will generally keep track of who our "special picks" are and make a special note so that the managers know also, and tip them at the end of our stay- housekeeping, rides to/from the beach, special requests we made that were handled with aloha, etc. We very rarely do large & heavy shopping runs. But if we do and we need help getting lots of stuff to the room then we would tip a few bucks at that time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Kauai

Great info to know! We'll be headed to HBR soon & I was wondering about tipping the golf cart guys. Thanks to all!

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Kauai

I would like to add something that David Z talked about and that is tipping of housekeeping.

If you are renting a privately owned unit, their housekeepers are most likely different than those at the resort. David Z's housekeepers are the resort housekeepers. If he were tipping them it would go into one of those envelopes I mentioned you can get at checkout. If you are renting a private unit and not a timeshare condo, you paid for housekeeping in your bill already. If you want to add a tip for them, please leave it in the unit with a note.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Kauai

Thanks for the advice! We are arriving at HBR in 9 days so it's good to know what the etiquette is.

9. Re: Tipping in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15