We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on vacation in Kauai

Manasquan, NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on vacation in Kauai

Hi. We hope to travel to Kauai next February/March for about 2 weeks.

1. South shore or North shore or split? Where on North Shore

2. Considering Kiahuna Plantation.

3. Is water in the South shore rough that time of year?

We are in our late sixties, but very active. We like to snorkel, explore beaches, take boat trips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

Kiahuna Plantation is a good choice. Its on a terrific beach and no the water won't be rough on the South Shore. North Shore, yes, but its still beautiful to watch and there are calm areas to enjoy a day or two of relaxing on the beach. Snorkeling will be at Lawai Beach.

Have you also checked out Kuhio Shores? The location is great with the feeling of being on a ship, you are so close to the water. Its next to the small snorkeling spot I mention, Lawai Beach. Its also next to Beach House Restaurant. There is no pool at KS and therefore it attracts a bit of an "older" crowd and no children.

Since you are staying such a nice long time, maybe stay 4 nights on the North Shore to avoid the driving back and forth. You MIGHT experience some rain showers and gray skies, but it is so stunningly beautiful rain or shine. There are many condos to choose from on sites like Summit Pacific, VRBO, Aloha Condos, Parrish Rentals, Ahh Aloha, but go for a view unit.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

Agree with jebett; split your time north and south.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

I love the north shore, rain or shine.

I love hearing the rain on the rooftops and palm fronds in the morning, and waking up to waterfalls and rainbows.

I would personally stay on the north shore and swim at Anini, and take a drive down south to snorkel and swim once in a while. But it depends on what kind of weather you want on vacation. If you need sunshine most of the time stay south.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,376 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

I'm with malawacky on this...North Shore..regardless of rain, Hell or high tide, lol. I'd spend everyday at Anini (North)....with an occasional foray to Salt Pond (South-West), but we've been many, many times.

Since this is your first trip, do split your stay. With two weeks, you have the time and it will cut down on driving time. You'll have the time to really explore the areas and decide where your favorite is (for the next time).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

It's unanimous! ;-) I would definitely split.

California
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

Yes, another vote to split your stay. I'd stay on the north shore first so that you'll be closer to the airport when it's time to leave. Kiahuna Plantation is a great choice . On the north shore, you might want to get a cottage on Hanalei Bay. Both shores are lovely; you won't be disappointed in either one .

7. Re: Need advice on vacation in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:15