We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Did more of "nothing" this trip than ever before but when "nothing" is defined as staring at the ocean and waves and the sky and the stars - well, that makes "nothing" more than worth its while!

Discovered The Fresh Shave food truck in Lawai Valley on the Koloa side of the traffic light on highway. Extremely fine ice with toppings made from fruit purees and/or diced fruit instead of syrup! SOOOO good! (Heard there is another similar in Kilauea but didn't have time to try - many said it was even better which I can't imagine!)

Discovered Keoki's in Lihue. OMG. Went back for a second time which is saying a lot as there are so many great places on island. Teri Cheeseburger more than lived up to its reputation! (Have to mention, however, that on second visit, 20 minutes later, stomach disaster struck. Hubby had same item but bigger and he had no problems. Just can't rave about it without including that possible downside.)

Treat of the Trip = Rosealani Coffee Ice Cream with Koloa Rum Company Dark Fudge Rum Sauce on top! Yikes was that good!

Picnic on the bike trail, Koloa Plantation Days, Papa'a Bay, seeing Sea Turtles three times up on the sand (a first for us), dancing hula nearly every night. It was a great trip!

Sorry I didn't get to stop by, Janet, but we kept putting a trip to the Hyatt off until it too late! Long distance hugs and blessings to Mochi.

Sorry we didn't get to see you play, Shanty, but our plane was delayed and we arrived late and exhausted.

There's always a "next time" - thank goodness!

BARB

California
Level Contributor
36,411 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

You talking about the walk up place in the Lihue industrial center?

Yup that fudge from Koloa Rum is deadly. Did you bring me some back????

Glad you had a "nothing" kind of trip. I love those.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Barb...did you go to a Bon Dance and did you join in????

Glad you had such a good time doing nothing!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Sounds like an amazing trip! Can't wait for the next time we get to do "nothing" on Kauai.

The shave ice place sounds great - the syrups gross me out so I'll have to look for this one.

Edited: 01 August 2014, 00:14
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Who did you dance hula with?

Glad you had a good time here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

<<Treat of the Trip = Rosealani Coffee Ice Cream with Koloa Rum Company Dark Fudge Rum Sauce on top! Yikes was that good!>> Now, Barb... that just mean!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

OK - answering in the order of your questions/comments...

Jebett... Yes, the walk up place in the industrial area. Read an article in the TGI and went. Food is out of this world and cheap. Single patty Teri Cheese Burger = $2.95. Double patty = $4.95. Don't know what hit me that morning. It was a one time deal that hadn't happened before but I was fine the rest of the day and it wasn't a "flu" - it was definitely stomach and only stomach and Hubby had exactly the same thing (except double)..

Jebett... At $16.95 per jar, Joan, even WE didn't bring a jar back for ourselves! It was pure luxury!

3chis... Didn't do the Bon Dance. Couldn't get Hubby to away from Point Zero (aka "the Bar") plus I wanted to dance both Friday and Saturday nights and then last weekend, had friends with a 6 year old who I thought would love the drums but after exposure to them earlier that week, had no interest, so convincing friends to venture out after our 1/2-bottle-wine-each sunsets was difficult as no one wanted to trade wine-infused sunset for driving!

blueflamingo... Hubby gets grossed out by the syrups as well but he, without prompting, said how much he really liked this new concept. Go for it!

Koloagirl... I always dance for Uncle Larry on Wednesday nights but there is a new musician (Roni) M-T-F-S at the Marriott KBC and once he found out I could dance, he kept asking me to. I danced to music by Bobby Darren, Tony Bennett and the Beatles as well as more traditional Hawaiian. It was a blast. Then at Waiohai, Chico, whom I've known for years, plays a few nights and he asked. Then "Uncle D"(?) plays and I danced as well. A bit more "traditional" than at the Hyatt but definitely 'auana (contemporary for all you non-hula-dancers) only.

blbl... Sorry to dangle the carrot - go to your local market, buy some fudge sauce and dump some dark rum in it! It's got to be at least close!

BARB

Edited: 01 August 2014, 01:30
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Wondered where you wee Barb. Denny was also there that night. Maybe your next trip.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

Shanty...

Our flight from Honolulu was due in at 2:30. It left on time. Ten minutes out of Lihue, they announced there was a "red light" that had come on and we were returning to Honolulu. Almost all the way to Lihue and they turned us around and had us wait - not too long - for another plane!

They just didn't want a "broken" plane sitting in Kauai when the repair personnel and parts were in Honolulu! Can't really blame them for that but they did inconvenience a full plane of passengers.

By the time we got in, it was 4:30 and although I knew you were playing until 7:00, "going out" just wasn't on the agenda particularly since at that point, we'd been up since 1:00am Hawaii time!

Such is life! Aren't we lucky that there will be a "next time"!

BARB

9. Re: Post-trip report = New and (re-)Discovered Goodies!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 07:15