We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

I'm looking for fairly easy/scenic hikes to do while we're in the Kokee State Park on Aug. 19. I just read about the 1.8 mile Kawaikoi Stream Trail (rated as easy) but I'm wondering if it would require a 4WD. We'll have about 4 hours to devote to the park/Waimea canyon overlooks before an afternoon snorkel cruise at 2. I was planning to hike about a mile along the Pihea Trail and also do the .3 mile Iliah Nature loop. Will 4 hours be long enough to do all/most of the above? Should we plan on stopping at the overlooks on our way down the canyon in case the Pihea Trail gets fogged in? Any suggestions on making the most of our morning would be appreciated.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

The Kawaikoi trail does indeed require 4wd to access, and it takes at least 30 minutes drive each way. I would recommend driving up early to the highest lookout (Puu o Kila) and hiking the Pihea trail for a mile and back. That gives you a very good chance of having all the views (but no guarantees with the weather, you may need to adjust your plans according to actual conditions). Then stop at the other lookouts on your way back. If you stop at the little museum and do the Iliau nature loop last (it's the furthest back down the hill), that should take you until 1pm and time to drive back to your next tour.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

Thanks for the info. I just read about another easy trail called the Poomau Canyon Lookout Trail. It says it's .3 miles (one-way or RT?) and that it starts l.5 miles beyond the Forest Reserve entrance sign on the Mohihi-Camp 10 Rd. It has good views of Poomau and Waimea Canyons. Is that worth checking out and will the Forest Reserve entrance sign be easy to locate?

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

The Poomau lookout trail is an easy .3 miles each way, but it is also located off of the dirt road, even further than the Kawaikoi Loop.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

KauaiHiker: I'll stick with your recommendation and plan on leaving Kapaa by 7:30 am to head towards the canyon and pray for good weather at the top. I called the Kokee Museum and they said both trails require 4WD. It's too bad the Hawaii state parks website doesn't indicate that on their short description of the trails on each island.

5. Re: Kawaikoi Stream Trail, other Kokee/Waimea Canyon ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:16