We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui vs Kauai

Vancouver
13 posts
Save Topic
Maui vs Kauai

Dear Hawaiian experts,

I am planning to go to either Maui or Kauai in early October for 10 days. I am looking for lots of sun and calm waters to snorkel in.

Can anyone recommend the best of the two to visit at this time...I know weather can be unpredictable. Ideally i would love to stay in the North Shore of Kauai as it sounds stunning, however, I come from Vancouver and am trying to escape the rain, not seek it.

Thank you for any advice.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Aloha! Well, what other things besides lots of sun and calm waters for snorkeling are you looking for??? Maui and Kauai both have those, but are vastly different in my opinion. Are you also looking for lots of nightlife or shopping?? What other activities are you planning to do? I am content snorkeling everyday but not everyone is into that. Maybe list a few more things - then we could offer you better advice.

For me, while I liked Maui and had fun there, it wasn't anything like Kauai. I found Maui too touristy, too traffic congested and even in the more remote areas, I would find myself comparing it to Kauai, and coming up short. I know there are lots of Maui lovers out there, but if you are looking for a laid back vacation, with stunning scenery and a true aloha spirit, then I would go to Kauai. I hope that helps some. :)

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui vs Kauai

i love maui...my boyfriend and i have visited twice in less than 2 years. we stay in napili, which is a bit aways from kaanapali/lahaina. but our next vacation is planned for kauai. i visited kauai about 9 years ago w/ my family, and it was gorgeous. we stayed at the princeville resort in early march, and had a wonderful time. the north shore is so lush and beautiful. i don't know how march compares to october on the north shore of kauai, but when i was there we had morning showers and not much else. i am looking into planning our wedding on the north shore of kauai (we are not engaged yet, but we have been together for 5 years. i know it is coming :) ).

kpi
Kauai
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Aloha, That is easy..Kauai. Not rainy in October on the north shore.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui vs Kauai

ok coal what happened to recommending sending friends to Maui so Kauai stays underdeveloped?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Frozen - okay, I know, but gee, when people ask, I just have to tell them how I really feel . . . . and wouldn't you hate to miss out on a place like Kauai??!! :)

Vancouver
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Dear experts,

Thank you you all for your feedback. we have decided to go to Maui for now because the flights are cheapers. We will go to Kauai next year. It sounds stunning.

Ok, a few more questions about Maui...we want to spend most of our days on the beach and snorkelling. Nightlife is not a priority at all.

Can anyone recommend the best areas for snorkelling/hiking in Maui. We want to try and stay away from the tourist traps as much as possible.

Thank you again.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui vs Kauai

ZsaZsa: I would highly recommend getting a copy of Maui Revealed as well as begin posting your questions on the Maui forum - it's a very active and helpful forum. My favorites were driving and staying in Hana, as well as evenings in Lahaina. Best of luck!

Kalamazoo Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Rather than go into a long dissertation, let me just say this....Kauai all the way. Any rains will likely be short lived and quickly replaced with gorgeous sun and the scenery is indescribable.... Have fun.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Well, since this is the Kauai forum, we are possibly prejudiced. I've spent several weeks on Maui, always in the Napili community, north of Lahaina. Napili is a bit more local and laid-back than the big tourist areas of Kaanapali, Lahaina, and the whole southwest coast. Since "local and laid-back" is what I prefer, I vote for Kauai, where you have a whole island of it. My first visit to Kauai was in late October 2005 in Princeville, and the weather was perfect. You could probably still snorkel at Ke'e and Hideaways, maybe parts of Anini.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui vs Kauai

Frozen what was the agreement??

Sometimes I think same, vote for Maui, leave Kauai for us.

However we much prefer Kauai.

Then two years ago we went to Maui again, it went from I won't go there again to this is pretty good. We went to Hana and up to volcano, snorkeled in S Kihei, never made it to Lahaina and west of there

Then next month we have a week in Kaanapali and a week at Poipu. Much looking forward to week at Poipu. waiting to see about week in Kaanapali, that is what we could get with time share tradein

but then we have never spent a miserable week in Hawaii.