We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

Olean, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

I would like to rent a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler. I've heard that some rental companies disconnect the 4 wheel drive. Does anyone know of a rental company that does not disable the 4 wheel drive? Thank you

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

I have never heard of that. You really won't need to even put it in 4 wheel drive though.

Olean, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

The only reason I want a 4 wheel drive Jeep is to go to Polihale Beach for the day and drive out onto the beach.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

I still say you won't need to put it in 4 wheel drive but the extra clearance will be nice. Remember that the rental companies will be looking for under carriage damage as soon as you get back. Just drive slowly.

Olean, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

Thanks

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

We had a Jeep to go to Polihale beach and I swear it made it so much rougher!! There were little cars flying by us. Tight suspension or something. We probably wouldn't bother getting one again. It was fun for our first trip though.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,165 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

If you only want the Jeep for a day, consider only renting it for a day. Why spend all that extra money for something you won't need for the majority of your time. And yes, sometimes the 4WD is disengaged...it happened with a Jeep that 1delphi rented. I'll ask her if she remembers who the rental co was.

Olean, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

I don't mind paying for the Jeep all week. I just wanna make sure that it has 4 wheel drive for the beach.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,165 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

Do not let the rental co know you plan to drive to Polihale. You violate the rental policy by taking any rental car, Jeep included, off a paved road. If you do get stuck, hopefully a Big truck will come by to pull you out.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

I think if you even ask if the 4 wheel drive is disengaged, they will want to know why you want to engage it.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,165 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler

It was Hertz.