We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

We'll be coming from Kapaa to try snorkeling at Kee Beach in a few weeks (our first trip to Hawaii) and I'm wondering if we don't get there early enough (before 8?) what our options are if the parking lot is full. Is there another lot further away? Will the places that you can't park be well-marked? The last thing I want is a ticket. How far of a walk would it be if we parked at Haena Beach Park and walked to Kee and then back to Tunnels to snorkel later in the morning?

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

Its too far of a walk from Haena. Yes there is another lot down the road from the main lot right at Ke'e. Do not park anywhere on the side of the highway. It is marked but you'll see others doing it. Don't follow suit unless you want a nice ticket.

My advice is try Ke'e. If its packed, go to Haena State Park, snorkel at Tunnels, relax and go back later. If Haena is packed, go to Lumihai.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,464 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

There's two parking lots for Ke'e..needless to say, the overflow lot is a bit further away from the beach. It's close to a mile from the parking lot at Ha'ena Beach Park to Ke'e beach. I wouldn't walk the road since it's rather narrow and people don't pay so much attention. Walking down the beach, you'll sink into the course sand...that will give you a work out, especially if you're carrying beach gear. It's only about 1/4 mile to Tunnels from Ha'ena....same narrow road & same course sand.

GoogleMaps "Street View"...you can see all of this.

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

Are you/we positive that parking is not allowed on the side of the road? If it's not allowed then Kauai must be raking in the money because whenever we're there cars are parked on both sides of the street clear to Haena State Park and beyond.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

Maybe the police have given up. I was there two years ago waiting for my friends who were checking out the beach and I couldn't find a parking place so I double parked and waited in the car. The police came by (and made me move) and were ticketing the cars on the side.

Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

"Are you/we positive that parking is not allowed on the side of the road? If it's not allowed then Kauai must be raking in the money because whenever we're there cars are parked on both sides of the street clear to Haena State Park and beyond." - 22Kauai

There WERE no parking signs in various places along the sides of the road. We were there many times in the past, including multiple times last summer. I took a picture of the police ticketing - don't know if I can post it here. Patience will usually yield a spot. there is also a "circle/cul de sac" area at the end of the road by the restrooms, life guard tower. trail sign where you have room to maneuver and can drop off/pick up and have the driver only park and walk back. That's what we did several times.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

You really need to get a good guide book, like the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book, and bring it with you . You will find by reading and studying you will find out all kinds of great info that will greatly help you on your kauai vacation.

All of this information is quickly found with great maps, mile markers, and even a quick reference sliding scale as to driving times. It is about two miles one way from haena to ke'e.. That took roughly 3 seconds to find.

We have parked in the haena area, and walked along the beach up to Ke'e, totally enjoyable , but we like to walk and hike. However, we would not carry our gear up to ke'e beach to snorkel since it is very mediocre snorkeling, we would snorkel at tunnels.

Also, for late arrivals, parking is a total beast and usually unsucessful up at Ke'e. There is an overflow lot that fills up and the entry is a bit down hill with rocks and cars bottoming out. We now just remain clear of that area anywhere near ke'e or the hanakapiai trail head.

And, you betcha, there are lines of no parking signs, and yes the KPD will ticket you, and that is just the beginning of solving that problem. You will wind up with long forms of information to fill out, as we learned at poipu beach a few years back...along with a hefty fine. Well, I watched as Erica grumbled and said bad words under her breath....well it wasnt all under her breath, there were some loud outbursts .

It all comes down to we now leave ke'e and hanakapiai to the visitors, too many other great places for snorkeling and hiking and we just do not need the agravation .

Edited: 06 August 2014, 15:06
7. Re: Parking alternatives at Kee Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:17