We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

Hello, I do hope that these tropical storms are not affecting you on Kauai too much!

I am seeing a really good rate today for renting a Jeep for our week, thru Discount Hawaii.

I am being picky, and just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on which Rental Car Agency it might be. As like to be picky and over-research... wondering if we can for sure get a hard-top, etc...

Do they issue an email confirmation right away?

Will it indicate which Rental Agency it will be thru?

Thanks for any insight... Anyone can answer by sending me a PM if they wish.

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

GM Wishing...we've used DHR many times. They'll email you with a confirmation on next business day. You can always request a hard-top...not sure what they'll have available when you arrive as it changes day to day. Last time we went to Maui we used them, requested a regular car as we were not doing any really "off-road" type activities that trip, and ended up with a T-top jeep. Was fun but a gas hog. DHR uses the major car rental agencies so you'll know when you get your confirmation. We've had Alamo, Dollar, etc. no problems. Nice folks. This past trip to Kaua'i, June-July 2014, we just couldn't beat Costco Travel's online car reservation deal. It was a Jeep Patriot and it was $301 for 15 days, all tax and fees included. I've started renting from local people on Craig's List now, but Costco even beat that this time. I checked Costco website periodically for about 6 weeks ahead. It changed daily. Free reservation free change so just watch for best deal. You can't go wrong with DHR or costco though, IMO.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 17:32
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

DHCR is simply a broker with pre-negioted rates (though sometimes even lower) with most of the major rental companies. On the DHCR website, click "MORE"...it will list out the brands.

I don't know if a hard-top can be guaranteed...email DHCR (give them a day or two to respond).

Yes, you will receive an email confirmation from DHCR with all the rental details including what company.

Yes, you will get an email confirmation from the actual rental company.

We've used DHCR many, many times...highly recommend. You can change or cancel anytime without a penalty...and keep checking with them as the rate may get even better.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 17:35
U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

Thank you so much...

Great rate - at least a $100.00 better than the Rental Companies are showing.

You all on this forum are amazing!

California
Level Contributor
37,218 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

To me it doesn't matter what the rental agency is. What matters is the price.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

Not only will you get a confirmation from DHCR but you can also go to the rental car companies website and plug in your reservation to print up your confirmation there also.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

Thanks all

: )

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

We rented a jeep for our current trip through discount hawaii. The company that they contracted was Thrifty. When we checked in Thrifty had the wrong time so the jeep wasn't ready. When we finally got the jeep it was a rag top and had obviously been broken into before. We had requested a hard top but none was available. We ended up taking a different car that had significant brake problems. I won't bore you with all that just wanted to say be careful about looking for the best price because it might not get you the best service.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

This is EXACTLY why I posted here.

I am not sure, but I am wondering, by the listing I see, if Dollar has only hard-tops.

Now that I know how to see which Company Number is Dollar... (and it is the cheapest one) I will double check with Dollar, and go from there.

The less than stellar review just posted re: Thrifty helps too.

This is why you guys on these boards are so great!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 00:05
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

Seems that we get Thrifty most times because they are usually the least expensive renting thru DHCR. Read some complaints about them, but personally have not had a problem, other than an early closure once a few years back due to a very long delayed flight - not really their fault. If your car has a safety related issue, like brakes, turn around and get another vehicle. A mechanic does not check every vehicle after being turned in. Many times they are unaware of a problem because either the previous user caused the problem, or was in too much of a hurry to report it. I'm quite sure none of the companies even road test the cars between rentals because of quick turnaround, especially in a vacation destination - they just wash it (maybe) and send it back out...

Edited: 10 August 2014, 14:51
Murrieta, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental (renting a jeep)

Just booked with DHCR for our vacation next June. So much cheaper than Hotwire and Costco, which are usually cheaper than most.

Company 6 is Thrifty. For 8 days, you can get an economy or compact car for under $200, including taxes and fees. A minivan on Costco was $840 for 8 days. $402 with all taxes and fees on DHCR.

The best part is no credit card needed to make the reservation, cancel at any time with no penalty.