We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Waimea Canyon

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
14 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Waimea Canyon

We will be arriving on the Pride of America and have booked a hire car for our time in Kauai. I am keen to drive to the Waimea Canyon but also a bit nervous about doing so. We are from Australia so there is the obvious difference of driving on the 'other' side of the road, but my main concern is will we find our way easily enough? Can anyone recommend a self- drive guide, or detailed maps which will help us get around. Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

Driving to Waimea Canyon from the port at Nawiliwili is rather straight forward. Self drive is perfect.

It is an excellent choice for a land tour while on Kauai.

Be sure to stop and check out the wonderful products at Aunt Lilikoi's in Waimea town while you are in the area.

http://www.auntylilikoi.com/#/home

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

Hi holidaygirl59, what date are you on POA, we will be on her for the 13th Sept from HNL, we have also booked a car for the first day in Kauai, as well as in Maui and Hilo, will be an adventure for sure. We also doing a Helicopter flight as well when in Kauai. Cheers, Karen

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

We just returned from going out on our saturday night date night dinner, and I have not read the other responses.

Fist of all, we have been to your land of Oz and love the dickens out of the land down under and the people. Fantastic.

We skippered sailing vessels in the whitsudays, did live aboard dive trips on the Sprirt of Freedom out on the Great Barrier Reef, and the coral sea, and used your absolutely superb modes of transportation from vans, and busses to ferry boatts....other than a car hire......you will understand all of the different ramifications that come into effect went driving on the other side of road......therefore on two 30 visits to oz, we never rented a car hire.

Now, the situation is that you will want to explore as much of the supremely beautiful garden island of kauai as possible......I am sorry to tell you this, but the most practical way is a car hire. There are other solutions such as tour companies like ALOHA KAUAI TOURS, Polynesian Tours, and Roberts Tours.

How do you find out about where to go and how to get there, and what there is to see and plan for. Order the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book, kauai revealed....by Andrew Doughty. Read and study that puppy, and use it to plan your explorations and activities.

The main thing that might help with driving ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD, which is the termonolgy that we use, as well, is that most of our kauai roads are two lanes, and no complex intersections and only two round abouts.

Main thing might be is looking the wrong direction for traffic at intesections or departing drive ways...for those who have not experienced this, they do not understand the possibility of horrendous accidents.

When we were in Carins, I would sit behind the van or bus driver, and see several intersecting roads, and in my feebel mind, chose the direction to turn. Basically, things would have not turned out so well if I would have been driving.

Cheers

Denny

Edited: 10 August 2014, 07:05
Mentioned in this post
Aloha Kauai Tours
Aloha Kauai Tours
129 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

Driving on Kauai is simple. You don't need any electronic gadgets or software. In a nutshell you're getting on the main highway and taking it all the way west to Waimea then hooking up with the highway that heads straight up to the canyon. There's little chance of getting lost and no need for Garmin type devices. The drive up to the top is no big deal either. It's not the cliff-hugging corkscrew type drive that many people imagine it must be.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

holidaygirl, we found, when driving in Oz (on the WRONG side of the road) :-D that it helped for the passenger to remind the driver when necessary. Mostly for turns - I had to remind DH to take right turns wide. You won't have any problems driving to and up the canyon. It's easy to find from the port. The highway out to Waimea is only 50MPH, and it's almost a straight shot. The canyon road itself really isn't all that curvy or steep. Be sure to stop at Jojo's Anuenue in Waimea (at the foot of the canyon) for shave ice.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Anuenue Cafe
Anuenue Cafe
455 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

<< we found, when driving in Oz (on the WRONG side of the road) :-D that it helped for the passenger to remind the driver when necessary>>

So true and great advice! We spent 6 weeks in New Zealand and Australia. My husband did all of the driving while I reminded him about which way to turn, etc. We pulled over to check out a beautiful view on the east side of the south island and when he pulled back into traffic, he was on the wrong side! I quickly reminded him before a car came out of the tunnel. The drive up Waimea Canyon is easy and we usually take it slowly.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Florida
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

Really one way in and one way out. Not a hard drive. I just did it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

Actually, there are two ways in and out.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
14 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

Thank you all for your very helpful advice - I feel much more relaxed about this now. Karen, we leave Honolulu on 23 August so a couple of weeks before you go. Thanks too for suggestions about where to eat etc. I really appreciate all the ideas, which I'll save & take with us.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
10. Re: Driving to Waimea Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16