We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anini

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Anini

We went to Anini today in a hope to snorkel but the water was very very dirty (tried in 2 different places), uncomfortable even for swimming. Is it just "after the rain" situation affecting all the beaches (and for how long it usually lasts after a heavy rain?) or only at Anini? View was still beautiful and we made great photos but would like to swim and snorkel.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anini

There are still brown water and high surf advisories for Kauai. The Health Department "warns beachgoers to stay out of brown water contaminated with runoff from overflowing cesspools, sewer manholes, pesticides, animal fecal matter, dead animals, pathogens, chemicals, and other flood debris. The runoff is also known to attract sharks because of possible dead animals being washed into the ocean. "This is definitely not the time to be recreating in Hawaiian waters," the Health Department said in a news release."

I would continue to stay out of the water until the water visibly clears and there are no high surf warnings. Only going to beaches with lifeguards and talking to them about conditions before getting in is also a good strategy.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anini

SheaG, thank you. So this is what is brown water, I see. Good that we didn't try to swim/snorkel in it. We have a Holo-Holo snorkel tour scheduled for Tuesday, should we try to reschedule it for a later day? How long it usually takes for brown water to clear up?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anini

the brown water warnings have been posted, and of course as you found are totally visible. As to snorkeling with holo holo, most times the brown water run off is associtated with rivers and streams that are located near the beach or harbor.

Your holo holo napali tour may be able to offer snorkeling at a site along the napali that wlll be clean and clear, that will be up to the captain.

Once the torrential rains are over, it can be several days before the brown water, which can be highly contaminated will dispurse, but we wait am additional couple of days after it clears up.

The contamination can be from dead animals, and overflowing cess pools and ceptic tanks, and you do not want anything to do with that.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 14:10
California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anini

Out where the snorkeling tours take you should have clear water and I wouldn't be concerned at all. Any beach where a river runs into it will most likely be murky for a few days after a heavy rain. The gunk comes down from the mountains. If you see brown, turn around.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anini

Thank you very much

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anini

The brown water occurs mostly where rivers/streams run into the ocean, as at Anini. You do get some effects from longshore currents, but the sites where the boat tours go should be fine.

7. Re: Anini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 23:35
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anini

As the others said, there are run off problems right now. Generally the water at Anini is very clear and good for snorkeling.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anini

Old post.

California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anini

Darn old threads...I thought Apple was back asking questions about her upcoming trip and I was going to tell her I am in Chico this week!!!!