We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

How much of a layover is usually needed at HNL???

Wondering why American Airlines is showing an almost three hour layover on the flights we like, arriving at HNL at 4:40pm but not picking up the Hawaiian Air flight to Kauai until the one that leaves at almost 7:40pm?

There are also HA inter-Island flights that leave at about 5:30, and at 5:50pm.

Is a layover from 4:40 to 5:27 not doable or advisable???

California
Level Contributor
37,218 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

Any airlines will advise at least an hour to an hour and a half. If your flight gets in at 4:40, that 5:30 flight is not within their guidelines. The 5:50 flight is debateable.AA might have an hour and a half layover restriction. I am dealing with this right now with United to Italy. They require just an hour and I don't think that's enough time.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

In the days when airlines would check your bags through as in AA to HA...HA required 90 minutes for your bags....I'm assuming the airlines are sticking by those guidelines since unless you're on one itinerary...you'll need to claim and re-check your bags. HA also wants you in the gate area 30-50 minutes before your flight...they close the gate 15 minutes before departure and "can" give your ticket away to a stand-by passenger if you are not boarded.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

Thanks Jebett....

If we do book this all together (thru AA) will that be huge benefit, that they will check-thru our checked bag? We wouldn't see it until Kauai... (would we also have to somehow pay any Hawaiian Air checked bag fees?)

This would mean that we would have to choose a very early departure on our trip.

As that full 3 hour layover would mean getting to Kauai much later, and after dark. The early itineraries work out better that way.

Thanks!

Edited: 18 August 2014, 01:06
U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

Thanks 3chi...

Sounds like they do not check-thru.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 01:10
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,537 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

Wishing.......What's the "on time departure and arrival" for American Airlines? Hawaiian Air is ranked with highest on time departure. They even leave BEFORE the scheduled time if everyone is on the flight! :-)

I like to give myself 2 hours as I'm always international and we have to go through immigration and customs. But you're on a domestic flight. 5:50 might be doable. It's just a short walk between the terminals. You can do it in 15 minutes. Is your luggage going to be checked all the way through to Kauai? Remember -- boarding is 15 minutes prior to departure, so even if it's 5:50, you have to "think" 5:35. 4:40 arrival will give you only 55 minutes to transfer. If your flight has a good on time record, it should be all right. If not, take the next flight.

Jesbett......United routed me on a short one hour transfer in San Francisco for a flight to Portland for September. I'm wondering if I have enough time, too! In May, I needed the full one and half hours to go through TSA and FIND the departure gate which was wayyy on the other side of the terminal for a transfer to Houston! I'm sure I set a new record for the "mile dash"! Be sure to wear your running shoes!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

If you are on one itinerary (PNR), then yes, your bags will check through. But double check that the tag says LIH. Separate itineraries, no...but you may get lucky and get an agent or sky cap that will tag them through.

Read Other Airlines, near the bottom of the page:

…hawaiianairlines.com/app/…luggage

California
Level Contributor
37,218 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

<<United routed me on a short one hour transfer in San Francisco for a flight to Portland for September. I'm wondering if I have enough time, too! >>

You are going to transfer onto United Express, I bet. You might be doing that dash again.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,537 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

Thanks, jesbett, for the heads-up. I'll do practice sprints between now and then!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

Thank you SO much. You guys are great.

If we book one itinerary thru AA (with check-thru) it would cost us about 140.00 more than booking separately, (70.00 each) after paying to check our bag with Hawaiian Air.

Hhhhhmmm?????

Edited: 18 August 2014, 02:46
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much of layover at Honolulu (HNL)

I'm not sure what your travel dates are but I just checked Island Air and there's a 6:22 flight - that will give you a little more breathing room.

Also, AA may only be showing flights where HA has released seats to them - dealing with partner airlines and alliances can be a big benefit or just a pain in the patootie. I would call AA and ask them if you booked the flights separately if you can combine the PNRs so you can book your luggage all the way through to Kauai.

I hate layovers in HNL - I feel like I'm SOCLOSE to Kauai and yet still so so far away. We usually do DEN-LAX-LIH but there was greater availability for FF flights in Feb to HNL so we booked that. I'm still debating inter-island flight options...

Can you pack in a small enough bag(s) to check on your mainland-HNL flight but then do carry-on to Kauai? We get free checked bags on United with our credit card but we always use carry-on size bags - you simply don't need that much "stuff" on Kauai!

Edited: 18 August 2014, 03:19