We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Sunsets on the North Shore

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
September Sunsets on the North Shore

It's almost time for our trip & I'm getting excited! We're staying at Hanalei Bay Resort in mid- Sept. Wondering from those 'in the know' if they can tell me if we will have beautiful sunsets? Or has the sun moved further and while the sunsets will be pretty, they won't be spectacular? Either way, I'm anticipating sitting on the lanai with a glass of wine and enjoying them. ;-)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

The sunset is starting to swing south and will be due west on the 21st. The sunsets will still be very nice but you may not see it over the water from HBR.

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

I just changed my avatar to last September's sunset from HBR. It was one of the most beautiful ones I had ever experienced and it will certainly still be over the water.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 04:44
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

Jebett, I knew you would have the right answer..... Sorry, I was too lazy to look it up since I have not been on the island in September in a long time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

Jebett, I had noticed your Avatar change. So glad we can look forward to beautiful sunsets in Sept from HBR!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,995 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

Some of the most spectacular sunsets have been from the North Shore in Aug-Sept....sitting by the pier at Hanalei. The sun does not sink into the ocean, but just clips Bali Hai....the play of light and colors of the clouds are beautiful. Wait until it is dark to leave. Once we left too soon and the colors went wild...and I only glimpsed it.....this is from Aug 29, 2013.

https:/…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

I found this great website that will show you the direction of the sunset. So if you are staying at HBR, you can still see the sunset over the water until about September 7th. It starts to swings south and will be behind the point after that (which is what is pictured in jebett's avatar).

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

Depending on where you sit to watch the sunset at HBR, it will have a beautiful glow over the water. The most popular spot is now the firepit area next to the tennis courts. Honestly Sept sunsets just take my breathe away.

My avatar is now set for Sept 2012. Makes me want to go back in Sept!!!!!

Edited: 18 August 2014, 19:00
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

Thanks to all! I really can't wait now. Jebett - the new avatar is gorgeous! What colors. For the most part, we'll be watching from our lanai (we'll have an unobstructed view), although we will join those at the firepit area too some o the time.

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

The firepit area will give you a different take. Do enjoy it, and we can't wait for some pictures.

10. Re: September Sunsets on the North Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17