We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

Phoenix, AZ
7 posts
Save Topic
Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

My husband and I will be going to Kauai for our 2 year anniversary. I want to have the top tier of our wedding cake remade as a suprise for him. Can anyone recommend a good bakery that would be able to do this? Thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

The brides at the Knot forum all recommend Suzi's Date Bar http://suzidatebar.com/suziwilliams.htm. She makes the best wedding cake in Kauai. But I also have heard that she had an hiking accident. I don't know if she has recovered from it.

Another choice would be Kilauea Bakery and Pau Hana Pizza, also recommended by the Kauai brides at the knot. …wcities.com/en/…record.html

Hope this helps

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

suzi would have been the person but she was badly injured in a fall. She's not back at work from what I know. Barely survived.

try Icing on the Cake. I've no direct experience but one poster here liked them.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

guess I should have read all of that prior post. The Kilauea bakery made us a great chocolate cake for a recent b-day.. Not up to Suzi's standards, but very good. If you are up north, try them.

Icing on the Cake is in kapaa. There are others in the yellow pages, but I've no basis for a rec.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

You can also check Safeway and Foodland to see if they can duplicate your top tier. A small wedding cake from the grocery store bakery will not likely be as tasty as from one of the more upscale bakeries, but will only run you $55-$60. Safeway usually requires a week's notice.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

ouch . Kil. bakery only charged about $50 for a huge cake that fed 8 with a third left over. Suzi was about $60 for a 8-10 person size, $90 if you needed for 20-25.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

This reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago. A couple got married and decided to save the top tier of their cake for thier first anniversary.

The small apartment they rented only had a tiny refridgerator and the cake took up almost the entire freezer section.

After suffering without a freezer for a year their anniversary finaly arrived.

They took out the cake and defrosted it. When they cut into it after a lovely dinner they discovered, it had been made of icing covered styrofoam to keep the weight of the cake down!

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

BB That is nasty.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

Suzi is just beginning to talk/walk again after 2 months. It'll be a while before she's back baking. maybe for your third anniversary!

9. Re: Bakery Recommendations - to remake top tier of wedding cake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 03:16