We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

I've read through accounts of folks who kayaked the Na Pali coast. Some say, "was much easier than I had thought it was going to be," while others say, "it was brutal. Don't do it unless you are glutton for punishment." Assuming that folks who take this on are reasonably fit, I'm thinking much of the difference in experience has to do with weather conditions, especially wind speed and direction. Anyone have any insight into the maximum wind speeds for a good trip?

Or am I totally off-base and it really has to do with other conditions that cause big swells, chop, etc.?

Thanks,

Suzy

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

A friend of mine just did this day before yesterday, and he was quite surprised how difficult the trip was this week. He has done it before and though a bit older than the last time he attempted it, he said due to the winds and currents, it was a killer.

You might call the kayak company that does this trip. They can really assist you.

NE PA
Level Contributor
949 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

We did it several years ago and the biggest obstacle for some in our group was sea sickness. Once you pass Ke'e beach you're committed, no turning back. If you get seasick you'll be miserable and it's a loooong way to Polihale. If your paddling partner gets seasick, you're doing all the paddling and it's a loooong way to Polihale. It was an awesome experience though and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Here a link to my review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29218-d1468…

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

We did it a couple of years ago and the LACK of wind was a killer. There is usually the trade winds that help you down the coast. The day we went it was eerily calm, the guides said the calmest day they had ever seen. It made for very smooth seas, but made the paddling that much harder.

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

Paddling against the wind is a killer too.

5. Re: What are reasonably good wind speeds to kayak Na Pali coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16