We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

Hello again! I LOVE the folks on this forum... so friendly and helpful! We are headed to Kauai for late Nov/early Dec, and we are currently booked for an ocean view 1-bedroom at the Lawai Beach Resort. These units do not have air conditioning, but apparently are supposed to have "great" cross-ventilation. Normally, I wouldn't give potentially high temp and humidity another thought, as we're from South Louisiana and accustomed to these. However, recent surgery for uterine cancer has now thrown me into menopause. Unfortunately, the cliches are true... hot flashes are no fun! I've read very divergent posts throughout the forum regarding whether you do or do not need an AC in winter months, and I suspect a lot of this is dependent on your specific location. I would appreciate input regarding what we might expect with our specific reservation (ocean front at Lawai). It's not too late to change our reservation to another resort if advised.

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

You should be fine. I've got news for you...even a/c doesn't help those night sweats and hot flashes. If you HAVE to, go to Walmart and buy a stand alone fan. Poipu has nice breezes and you should be fine in the condo. I feel your pain!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

I agree, you should be fine that time of the year. The only time we have been uncomfortable was when we hit a few days when the trade winds stopped -- and did just what jebett suggested -- go buy a cheap box fan.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

Thanks for the responses. :-) A stand-alone fan from WalMart is a fantastic idea, jebett! We already planned on stopping by the WalMart to stock up on groceries for the week, so it won't even require extra time. I could order it with site-to-store pickup and be positive a stand-alone fan would there waiting for me! Thanks for the help!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 21:54
Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

You might want to contact your resort first - most units that do not have A/C installed already have a box fan stashed away in the closet for guests that want them.

My guess is that you won't need AC anyway. I've been there during the beginning of December several times and actually had to shut the windows and haul out an actual blanket at night when a storm was passing through.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,971 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

Aloha,

Has there ever been a condo, vacation home, or beach cottage which DOESN'T claim to have cooling tropical breezes, lovely tradewinds, and/or cross-ventilation?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

Usually, no A/C only means the owner doesn't want to pay the outrageous electricity prices in Hawaii. I hope our OP doesn't need it, but I won't book anywhere in Hawaii at any time of year if the place has no A/C. We visit in winter and have never gone a year without using the A/C. The Trades DO quit. There IS Kona weather.

Regardless, never sleep with your sliders unlocked. Hawaii is a paradise, not THE Paradise.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

I can't paint a rosy picture for you. Lawai Beach Resort can have some stellar views straight out over the water facing the setting sun. The downside of that is the sun will be beaming directly into those units in the afternoon. The upside is you'll find humidity so much less than what you're used to.

Cross-ventilation is the key word thrown out there in rental listings. For air to cross-ventilate it needs to have an "in" and an "out". Air has to be able to blow out the opposite side via windows, doors etc. on the back side of the unit also. Otherwise it's no differnt than a hotel room with one egress - the sliding patio doors. This is why hotels have full air conditioning. Condo units with doors and windows on the back side or even some side windows stand a much better chance of having "cross ventilation". Cross ventilation is also dependent upon the unit's orientation towards the tradewinds. If a unit has only a patio door and it faces west you won't get much of a breeze blowing through.

Lastly is the units orientation. Obviously those directly facing the afternoon sun are going to get hotter than those who do not or those who have foliage blocking the direct hit of the sun. The ceiling heights make a difference also.

Bottom line is it can greatly depend on the unit you're in.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 23:37
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

You shouldn't have to spend your own money on a portable fan from Walmart. Portable fans are normally supplied in the unit. If you find out that your unit is hot and doesn't have a portable fan you need to get right on the phone to management of the unit. I don't know how you rented your unit but most property management companies or rental agencies will provide them if you call. They're used to this request and the good ones will provide you with one.

I'd lodge your request now for a fan (if there isn't one already there). just let them know of your concerns and that you'd like to verify there is a portable fan in the unit. If there isn't let them know you will most likely need one.

If you end up having to buy one yourself then you should expect reimbursement for it because you'd likely be leaving it there.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 23:42
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,971 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

Aloha

Can you cancel? Rebook a condo with A/C.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Room temps... beginning of December with no AC

We stayed in the same area with no AC in early December a few years ago and I regretted it.

Living space was OK but bedroom was hot for me.

If you are used to AC, you will want it.