We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Something that is new here on island are signs that tell you which ancient ahapua'a or moku (district) you are entering into....you might see these signs on the side of the highway and have no clue what they are since there is no explanation given. Each one has a symbol also, such as a fish, etc. and that is because....."They’re all named for specific purposes and for real reasons like agriculture — there were differences between certain areas." This from acticle linked below.

Here is an article that explains what they are and who the people are behind it:

thegardenisland.com/lifestyles/talk_story/ka…

For instance if you are driving from Lihu'e to here in Koloa - you will see a sign on the right side of the highway saying "Kona" - and if you are going the opposite way towards Lihu'e, you will see one saying "Puna"......these are the ancient ahapua'a or moku and for the first time they have been accurately mapped out and designated on the highway here.

I think it is a little unfortunate that probably most visitors have no clue what these signs are since there is no explanation that I see anywhere given for them.

But it is a great thing for the island and the cultural history of Kaua'i.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,401 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Aloha, Janet,

Mahalo

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Very special.

Mahalo, Janet.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

The signs show the moku, or districts. There is a project in the works to add signs for the ahupua`a.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

How about chicken crossing signs? Is that in the budget? lol

denville, nj
Level Contributor
693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

I saw those signs when I was there in May, and was mystified as to why signs for Puna and Kona (which I associate with the Big Island) were on Kauai. Thanks for the info and the link to the article, Janet.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes - some people might be confused to know they are in the ancient moku of Kona when they are here in the Poʻipū area!

I think this is a wonderful thing personally and in fact at the County Fair this weekend they were giving out fans with the various names and symbols of each!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Wasn't the fair fun? :-) I did notice those fans. Neat idea.

on the road to...
Level Contributor
477 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

That's really cool! I like to know where I am. Hopefully as the project progresses they'll put a little more info out so more people recognize what they're seeing. I'll have to make a note to look out for the signs on our next visit (which I wish were already booked!)

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
746 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

Now, isn't that cool! Mahalo, Janet. I love hearing about the culture and history of places I visit, and I really like it when folks make it easy to start a dialogue, which these signs just might spark up.

10. Re: If you see some new signs on the highway..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:16