We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking hotel through private owner?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking hotel through private owner?

I'm planning my second trip to Kauai and I'm thinking of getting a vacation rental. I'd like an area to sit outside or even a balcony now that I will have my son with me (15 months old). I've noticed that a lot of the rentals I'm coming across are units in hotels. For example, I'm seeing rentals for rooms at the Kauai Beach Resort through private owners not the actual hotel. I'm curious if anyone knows if these units get the same amenities as a room booked through the hotel.

Also can anyone recommend another site that has private rentals? Thanks!

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

I think you mean condos.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

Which sites have you checked? You didn't say. VRBO?

California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

There are privately owned condos at Kauai Beach Resort but they are called villas. Many places like that are on Kauai.

I can think of Islander On The Beach, Hanalei Bay Resort, Kiahuna Plantation, Kauai Beach Resort etc. You will see them rented like a hotel but going through a private owner or manager lets you know what you are getting. The difference is you need deposits, there are no refund policies etc. If you rent at Kauai Beach Resort through Aqua, those are not the villas.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

You very well may not get the same amenities or you may have to pay for them. This arrangement is not uncommon. Private owners may opt out of the rental program and management company that the majority of owners use. They usually think they can do it cheaper another way instead of using the company that manages the front desk and other services such as housekeeping, the business services, maintenance needs, etc. In many cases it's not unusual for a renter to go to the front desk and request things such as beach towels, extra bedding , ask to have a fax sent , request maintenance, and the guest is told "I see that Unit # -- is not part of our operation. You have to talk to the owner of your unit or whoever you rented it through". I've even heard of pool towels not being provided by the front desk in these cases.

So yes, what you describe can and does happen. You need to make sure that whoever you're renting through gives you full disclosure on what you can expect or not expect from the onsite management.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 00:41
California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

Islander on the Beach, private owners, do not get some of the same benefits.

The other disadvantage for some is no daily housekeeping. But you will pay more going through the hotel.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

Thanks for clearing it up!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

We went thru www.krellersgetaway.com for our rental at Islander on the Beach, Brad has been very good to communicate with us. He owns several units at Islander on the Beach.

I did find him thru VRBO, and I was a little reluctant at first, but once I talked to him and did some research it was all good.

8. Re: Booking hotel through private owner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:15