We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Topic
Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Oh no.....just got a call from the person who manages the house we have rented at Moloaa Bay for our 2 week vacation which begins FRIDAY! Seems there is construction going on at the property directly next door. She states, "no active constructing is taking place now" and I have only known about this for a couple of weeks. I am SICK! I know there is not a darned thing I can do. We are fully paid (in cash) so getting a refund will be out of the question as will finding an alternate place to stay I am sure. We have been planning this for so long....celebrating 25 years of marriage....yada yada. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Am I over reacting? Should I just get over it, suck it up and try and have fun anyway, or see what I can do in the refund/other place to stay department?

PA
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

ok, first off... take a deep breath. ;-)

Secondly... were you planning on spending a large amount of time at the house, or being out and about exploring the island most of the day? I would imagine that most construction will take place during daylight hours, possibly early morning, but most mornings in Hawaii I wake up early anyway due to the time difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about it... I think you will still have a great time on Kauai. There is so much to see and do on the island, that you probably won't even be around when most of the construction (if any) is occuring. Wishing you more peace and quiet than you anticipate....

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Oh I know, I am hugely over reacting here. I just want everything to be as perfect as possible. We rented such a dive on our last trip and were looking forward to actually spending some "downtime" at this little house, but hey, I can be flexible. And I too am always up early on the island. I was just worried that the construction site would distrupt my lovely view. How silly I am being. My husband is not concerned at all. I am sure it will be a great vacation!

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Hikergirl - just wanted to commiserate with you - on one trip to Maui, they were digging up the entire beach in front of our hotel, it was blocked off by giant sheets of plywood and we never got to go there once!! And heard heavy machinery all day long.

On the plus side for you, if this is in a residential neighbourhood, it may be just a house construction or renovation. In that case, it could be a couple of guys with hammers during the day. We actually have two new houses being built across from us at home, and it's hardly a distraction at all.

I am so jealous that you are going this week and I have to wait another six months. Relax, enjoy and write us a fabulous trip report on your return.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

hikergirl: I'll be betting that it's a simple project you probably won't even notice . . . and besides, you'll be gone all day exploring, hiking, snorkeling, etc. When you come to your little home for your holiday, it'll be just fine . . . I know I always get worked up for some little thing just prior - it's all the pre-travel stress. I didn't mention it on my trip report, but I hadn't heard back from the rental I was using for key information, assummed the worst and immediately panicked - started surfing for housing, and then he emailed me . . . all worked up over nothing - just par for the course it seems.

Just go have a fabulous time with that husband of yours - you have a wonderful thing to celebrate - 25 years of marriage, and you'll be with the one you love on one of the most gorgeous places on the planet! Enjoy every minutes - and I'll look forward to your trip report. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Hi Hikergirl,

The Department of Health on Kauai has rules and hours that must be followed. Allowable hours for construction (incuding painting) are from 7am to 6pm M-F and from 9am to 6pm on Saturdays and none allowed on Sundays.

If you should hear (or smell) work going on outside those hours, you or your landlord should contact the Dept of Health. It's been my experience that most construction workers like to be done for the day well before 6pm, more like 4:30.

At Moloa'a Bay, you should be able to plant your sand chair a nice distance away from the construction and only hear the roar of the ocean. I'm thinking that you'll want to venture out to other parts of the island as well during the day and come back around Pau Hana time. I'm sure it will work out for you. The homes along Moloa'a are mostly vacation rentals, and so the owners might be sympathetic to your landlords request for some quiet time - say before 8 a.m. and after 5 p.m.

Now that I think about it, the last time I visited Moloa'a, there was construction going on and it didn't bother my beach visit in the least. I suppose it's a different story if you are trying to enjoy some quiet time inside a vacation rental. Just watch those hours -- if it's a reputable construction company they'll follow regulations. If it's the owner himself doing the work, he might want to be banging his hammer and sawing wood until the wee hours of the night. You've got the right to complain, if that happens.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

hula is dead on. and the health dept is responsive on these issues. Esp. if the builder hasn't bothered with a noise permit. WHACK.

Actually this time of year there should be space somewhere. If your house is being blasted with noise, invite your manager over for a visit and ask for the refund then. A classy owner will play ball.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Thanks for all the reasurrance. I am still feeling a bit leary about it all though. Found it odd that she would call and tell me that a day and a half before I arrive on the island, and also she said that we will be the last ones to stay there until the project is finished. Says she has relocated all the October rentals. She said the construction is "on hold" while we are there due to the lack of concrete on the island. Just want to make sure I am not being "sold down the river." I am sure it will be fine. I didn't think the pre trip stress was getting to me, but maybe it is. You all are so wonderful with your info and advice.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

hikergirl, I know how the pre-vacation stress can be. Probably the only thing I'm stressing right now is the weather. I'm hoping for lots of sunshine, and only brief rain. If it rains buckets every day, I'll not be a happy camper. There's not much any of us can do at some point though. We have to reserve everything in advance, and we don't always know what is going to be happening at the time we have chosen for our visits. I suspect you have nothing to worry about. Just 9 more days and I'll be there!! I'll wave to you when I'm passing Moloaa Bay!! Actually, I'm determined to visit this remote area on my visit this time. This will be my first REAL visit to Kauai for purposes of adventure seeking. My last visit was with my ailing mother 10 years ago, and we were limited in what we could do.

Have a WONDERFUL trip!!! :)

Rock Island, IL
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

If this is any reassurance we had some construction right next to our house we rented last January and really did not notice it after a while. They were remodeling the house next door so had a full construction crew there daily. We spent most of our time at the house on the patio or in the hot tub and it did not ruin our experience in any way.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help, opinions or advice, quick

Thanks so much to all! I am almost packed and ready to go and have mellowed out since my original frantic post last night. It will be whatever it is and I am sure everything will be just fine. Hey jam, come by and say hello....just look for the construction zone, you won't be able to miss us! Ha. See my sense of humor has returned. Seriously, make a trek to Moloaa while you are there. We think it is one of the most enchanted places on the island. The owner of the house we are renting said last night that the bay had been calm and beautiful the last day or 2. I have only seen it that way in pictures. Last year the surf was wild and crazy the whole time. It will be fun to see how it is this time.