We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less expensive interisland fares?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Less expensive interisland fares?

Hi everyone

I've been reading about the $29 interisland fares and just wanted to ask - how do you find them?

We have our flights booked from Vancouver for March (I know its early, but we're really restricted on when we can go, so I booked early) and I was going to make the interisland reservations too. The cheapest I've found are $73 each one way.

Is this because it is so far in advance or is there some restrictions like only flights at 3 in the morning??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Nebraska
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

The $29 fares expire October 1st. With new competition, there should be more sales in the future.

If a company does drop their fares, and others decide to match, reward the first company by purchasing from them.

Flights in Hawaii have been over-priced without competition. When you figure that Oahu to Maui round-trip is 60 miles, and they have been charging $146, that averages out to well over $2.00 a mile.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

Check Island Air you have to watch the weight of your bags a little closer but you can hand check one or two bags I believe to get around this. They usually have a couple of super web specials for $33-39 one way. One other thing is these are turbo prop planes that they fly, flight time is about the same and you get a better view either sit way to the front or towards the rear to be able to see cause of overhead wing.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

Thanks a lot guys for the info. I'll be keeping my eye on these.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

Thanks a lot guys for the info. I'll be keeping my eye on these.

Littleton, Co
Level Contributor
183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

aloha air quoted me $89.60 round trip from lihue to honolulu. they have flights every hour 7 days a week. they only have a certain number of seats at this price per plane. if quoted a higher price try changing the times of the flight. and you can also book the flight the same day.

NE PA
Level Contributor
952 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

Following this forum I found out that Aloha Air honors United Airlines frequent flier miles. Each round trip inter-island flight cost us 5000 miles +$15 booking charge. You have to request these through United and then call back the next day to see if you get your requested flight.

California
Level Contributor
36,673 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

There's a new airline that flies interisland called GO. Check it out. their fares were less.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

GO's $19 fare is being matched by the other carriers for the routes GO flies.

9. Re: Less expensive interisland fares?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 23:20